Unit 11 grade 9: Changing Roles In Society – Communication
1. Task 1 Unit 11 Grade 9 Communication
a. Work in groups. Read the introduction to the Just imagine! forum. Discuss and take notes of own predictions. (Work in groups. Read the forum’s introduction Imagine! Discuss and note your own predictions)
Guide to answer
Schools are places for students to learn, to share, and to play. In the future, schools will become more important because they need to teach students more about technology, which is changing our life.
Schools are places for students to learn, share and have fun. In the future, schools will become more important because they need to teach students more about technology that is changing our lives.
b. Read the predictions which have been posted and see if any are similar to yours. (Read the predictions posted and see if there are any similar to yours)
This is a forum launched by Nhat Mlinh School in Da Nang. The students were asked to share thoughts about the roles of schools in the future. Here are some posts we would like to share with you.
The school wilt be like a small city. Classes will be held in traditional classrooms as well as in places like fast food restaurants where students will learn how to run a business, or in a nursing home where they will learn to take care of others. In short, learning will be more hands-on.
Lan, class 6A
Self-study will be valued. Students will have more freedom to choose whether to go to school on certain days and for certain lessons. Class attendance check-up will no longer be used. Students will be able to stay at home and follow the lessons online, or study the topic from other reliable sources. Learning will be more individually- oriented, and thus be more effective.
Cuong, class 9B
The school will no longer be the only evaluate which decides whether a student is allowed to enter university. Society will also be part of this evaluation through the activities a student has performed outside class.
Hung, class 9D
Schools will be more responsive to changes in society by constantly tailoring their curriculum and activities. In so doing, they will greatly contribute to the development of the economy and help keep society safe.
Nguyen, class 8G
This is a forum set up by Nhat Minh School in Da Nang. Students were asked to share their thoughts on the role of schools in the future. These are the posts we want to share with you
School will be like a small city. Classes will be held in traditional classrooms as well as in places like fast food restaurants where students will learn how to run a business, or in nursing homes where they will learn how to take care of others. In short, learning will be more practical.
Lan, grade 6A
Self-study will be highly appreciated. Students will have more freedom to choose to attend school on certain days and certain assignments. Attendance attendance in class is no longer used. Students will be able to stay at home and follow lessons online, or research topics from other trusted sources. Learning will be more self-directed and therefore more effective.
Cuong, class 9B
School will no longer just be the judge that determines whether a student is allowed to go to college. Social will be part of this assessment through the activities students demonstrate outside of the classroom.
Hung, class 9D
Schools will be more responsive to societal changes by continually revising their curriculum and activities. In doing so, they will contribute to economic development and help maintain social security.
Nguyen, grade 8G
2. Task 2 Unit 11 Grade 9 Communication
Work in groups. Look at the colored words/ phrases in the posts. Then discuss and find their meaning from the context. (Work in groups. Look at the colored words/phrases in the posts. Then discuss and figure out the meaning from the context)
Guide to answer
1. hands-on: real; practical (practical/practical)
2. Individual-oriented: focused on a particular person; customized (focus on individuals)
3. evaluator: a person who judges another person’s performance (critic/reviewer)
4. responsive to: reacting quickly and positively; showing interest in something (positive and quick feedback)
5. tailoring: making the necessary changes to something to make it fit a person or situation (edit)
3. Task 3 Unit 11 Grade 9 Communication
Which response (A – D) is the most relevant to each of the posts in 1b?
(Which response from A – D is most relevant to each post in section 1b)
Guide to answer
Post 22: EASY
Post 51: OLD
Post 76: A
Post 101: REMOVE
1. I agree that academic performance is not the only criterion by which a person is judged.
2. Surveys will be conducted to identify the changing requirements of society.
3. This development will allow students to modify their new way of learning.
4. I am of the same opinion that we should learn more from practice.
4. Task 4 Unit 11 Grade 9 Communication
WHAT DO YOU THINK? (What do you think?)
Discuss in groups. Support your answers with specific reasons and examples. (Discuss in groups. Supplement answers with specific reasons and examples)
Which change in the roles of schools in the Just imagine! forum… (What changes in the role of education in the Just imagine! forum…)
1. are you most interested in? (you like best?)
2. do you find most unlikely to happen? (You feel almost impossible?)
3. are you sure will be coming soon? (are you sure it will happen soon?)
4. will involve the participation of the whole society? (would involve the participation of the whole society?)
Guide to answer
1. I’m most interested in the change that the school will be like a small city because students can learn theoretical as well as practical knowledge.
(I am most interested in the change that the school will be like a small city because students can learn theory as well as practical knowledge.)
2. The change I find most unlikely to happen is that the school will no longer be the only evaluator to decide whether a student is allowed to enter university because it is difficult to find another valid alternative for it.
(The change that I find most unlikely is that school will no longer be the sole measure of whether a student is allowed to go to college because it is difficult to find another valid alternative to college.) it.)
3. The change that school’s curriculum will be tailored to will be coming soon since knowledge for students needs to be up-to-dated so that they can relate to themselves more.
(The school’s curriculum changes will be continuously adjusted because knowledge needs to be updated every day to suit the evolving needs of students.)
4. The change that self-study will be valued need the participation of the whole society, from school to family and friends of each student.
(The change in which self-study is valued more requires the cooperation of the whole society, from the school to the family and friends of each student.)
5. Practice Task 1
Choose the best answer A, B, C, or D to complete the sentences.
Question 1: More open discussions_____ online to help us reach a good decision.
A. will conduct B. will be conducted C. conducts D.
Question 2: The Mona Lisa,_____ is a painting by Leonardo da Vinci, has caused a lot of negotiation.
A. which B. who C. it D. they
Question 3: In the future, men and women_____ equal roles in society.
A. play B. will be played C. will play D. are playing
Question 4: Peter can just get ____________ in German.
A. up B. down C. out D. by
Question 5: Sound symbolism means that we often _________ the meaning of a word from its sound.
A guess B. judge C. imagine D. expect
6. Practice Task 2
Complete the sentences with suitable relative pronouns (who/ whom/ which/ that/ where)
1. Do you know the country _____ she was born?
2. A bus is a big car _____ carries lots of people.
3. The woman _____ he is going to marry is very beautiful.
4. The girl, _____ long hair I like very much, studies hard.
5. She wants to become a doctor, _____ is very difficult.
At the end of the lesson, students need to read and understand predictions about the future role of schools and practice expressing their views on the changing role of schools; At the same time, memorize the words in the lesson:
- hands-on (adj): practical
- individual-oriented (adj): self-conscious
- tailoring (v): to edit
- responsive to: responsible for
- run a business: business
- be allowed to : to be allowed/agree to do
- enter university: enter university
- self-study (v/n): self-study
- class atendance check-up: attendance
- reliable (adj): reliable