Unit 7 grade 6: Television – Getting Started
What’s on today? (What’s on today?)
1. Task 1 Unit 7 Grade 6 Getting Started
Listen and read (Listen and read)
Click to listen
Phong: What will you do tonight, Hung?
Hung: I will watch my favorite TV show – Laughing Out Loud!
Phong: What program is that?
Hung: It’s a program with many funny clips.
Phong: What channel was that show on?
Hung: VTV3 and then I will watch Mr. Bean.
Phong: That’s a funny man.
Hung: That’s right. Come see with me.
Phong: Oh no. I don’t like Mr. Bean. He was so strange.
Hung: So can we watch Tom and Jerry?
Phong: Oh, cartoons? I love that cartoon!
Hung: Who doesn’t like it? I like the clever little mouse, Jerry. The mouse is great.
Phong: But Tom is also funny. Stupid but funny.
Hung: That’s right. Can you hand me the newspaper on the table?
Phong: Okay. You want to check the schedule of TV shows?
Hung: Right. Look…
a. Read the conversation again and answer the questions. Read the conversation again and answer the following questions.
1. What is Hung’s favorite TV programme? (What is Hung’s favorite TV show?)
What channel is Laughing out Loud on? (What channel is Laughing Out Loud on?)
Are Laughing out Loud and Mr Bean on at the same time?
(Laughing Out Loud and Mr. Bean aired at the same time, right?)
Why doesn’t Phong like Mr Bean? (Why doesn’t Phong like Mr. Bean?)
What does Phong say about Tom? (What did Phong say about Tom?)
Guide to answer
first. Laughing out Loud!
2. It’s on VTV3 channel. (The program is shown on channel VTV3.)
3. No, they aren’t. (Are not.)
4. Because he is awful. (Because he’s weird.)
5. He says Tom’s stupid but funny. (He said Tom was stupid but funny.)
b. Find the adjectives describing each character in the conversation and write them here. (Find adjectives that describe each character in the conversation and write them down here.)
first. Mr Bean: funny , awful (funny, weird)
2. Tom: stupid , funny (stupid, funny)
3. Jerry: intelligent (clever)
c. Which adjective(s) below can you use to describe a TV program you have watched? What program is it? (Which adjective below could you use to describe a TV show you watched? What was it?)
Guide to answer
Phineas and Ferb is an entertaining programme. (Phineas and Ferb is an entertaining show)
2. Task 2 Unit 7 Grade 6 Getting Started
Put the correct word in the box under each picture. (Put the correct word in the box below each picture.)
Guide to answer
1. national television: national television station đài
2. news programme: news program
3. local television: local television station
4. comedy: comedy
5. game show: game show
6. animal program: animal program
3. Task 3 Unit 7 Grade 6 Getting Started
Use suitable words to complete the sentences. (Use suitable words to complete the following sentences.)
Guide to answer
1. PTQ is not a national broadcaster. It’s local.
2. I like comedy shows. Comedy shows make me laugh.
3. The most popular television news programs in Vietnam are channels VTV1 and VTV3.
4. In a competition you can see how people compete with each other.
5. Cartoons often use animals as the main character.
6. An educational program can always teach children something.
4. Task 4 Unit 7 Grade 6 Getting Started
Work in groups. (Work in team.)
Write down two things you like about television and two things you don’t like about it.Talk to others in your group and see how many people share your ideas. (Write down 2 things you like about television and two things you don’t like about it. Tell the rest of the group and see how many share your opinion.)
– Like (Prefer):
- education (educational)
- entertainment (entertaining)
– Dislikes (Dislike):
- boring (boring)
- too long (too long)
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to complete the sentences
Question 1: A ____________ is a short funny film with drawn characters.
A. documentary B. honor C. cartoon D. news
Question 2: My family and I often spend time ____________ television in the evening.
A. seeing B. watching C. looking D. viewing
Question 3: The comedy was so interesting that all ____________ clapped their hands.
A. audiences B. viewers C. people D. students
Question 4: VTV1 and VTV3 are all ____________ channels
A. local B. national C. educational D. creational
Question 5: What’s going to be ____________ TV tonight?
A. in B. of C. at D. on
Question 6: The reporter is talking about the ____________ for the fire.
A. reason B. manner C. series D. event
Question 7: Children should watch ____________ programs.
A. remote B. national C. educational D. clumsy
Question 8: The ____________ will announce tomorrow’s weather on TV at 7:30 tonight.
A. weatherman B. newsreader C. comedian D. MC
Question 9: We will go to the cinema to see a ____________.
A. game B. movie C. show D. racing
Question 10: She uses the ____________ control to change the channel.
A. local B. musical C. remote D. main
At the end of the lesson, they need to practice reading the dialogue and do related exercises; At the same time, memorize the vocabulary contained in the lesson to support the reading comprehension process:
- program(n): program
- show: variety show
- channel (n): channel
- cartoon (n): cartoon
- intelligent (adj)
- funny (adj): funny
- stupid (adj): stupid
- TV schedule (n): broadcast schedule
- national television: national television station
- news programme: news program
- local television: local television station
- comedy: comedy
- game show: game show
- animal programme: animal program