Unit 8 grade 9: Tourism – Getting Started
Travel Plans (Travel plan)
1. Task 1 Unit 8 Grade 9 Getting Started
Listen and read. (Listen and read)
Click to listen
Nick: Hi, Chau. How are things?
Chau: Good. Have you made up your mind about where to go on holiday?
Nick: Well, I’ve got it down to two countries – my first choice is France and my second is Japan. What do you think?
Chau: Well, France is one of the largest countries in Europe. Since we’ve got a four-week summer holiday, you could go on a cycling tour of the country or go on a package tour.
Nick: No, I’m not into package tours. I’d like to visit the Alps, and climb Mont Blanc – the highest mountain in Western Europe. I’d also love to explore Paris, and go sightseeing in the historic city of Versailles.
Chau: Sounds exciting! I think it’s quite warm there, much warmer than in Britain. I can just picture you, tanned and relaxed, tasting delicious local specialities like frogs’ legs and snails!
Nick: Ha ha! That’s not really my cup of tea. Perhaps I should go to Japan and stay at a seaside resort, eating sushi and sashimi every day! Anyhow, Japan is only my second choice.
Chau: Right. So what do your parents think about your plans?
Nick: Oh, they’re cool. I’m glad that they let me make my own decisions.
Chau: Lucky you. Whatever you decide, you’ll have a good time.
Nick: So what about you? Planning anything?
Chau: Well, my family … (fades out)
Nick: Hello Chau. Everything after?
Chau: Still good. Have you decided where to go on vacation yet?
Nick: Well, I’ve narrowed it down to two countries – my first choice is France and the second is Japan. What do you think?
Chau: Well, France is one of the biggest countries in Europe. Because we had a 4-week summer vacation there, you can cycle around the country or go on a package tour.
Nick: No, I don’t like package tours. I want to go to the Alps and climb to the top of Blanc – the highest mountain in Western Europe. I also want to explore Paris, and go sightseeing in the historic city of Versailles.
Chau: That sounds good! I think it’s quite warm here, much warmer than in England. I can outline for you, places to sunbathe, relax, enjoy local finger foods like frog legs and snails.
Nick: Haha! That’s not my hobby. Maybe I should go to Japan and stay at a seaside resort, eating sushi and sashimi every day. Well, Japan is just my second choice.
Chau: Right. So what do your parents think about your plan?
Nick: Oh, they’re so comfortable. I’m glad they allowed me to make my own decisions.
Chau: Busy lucky. Whatever you decide, you’ll have a great time.
Nick: And you? Any plans?
Chau: Well, my family… (sad face)
a. Find a word/ phrase in the conversation that means: (Find a word/phrase in the dialogue that means the following: )
Guide to answer
1. made up your mind
2. show it down
3. a package tour
5. not my cup of tea
1. make a decision: decided
2. to reduce: to shrink
3. a trip where the itinerary and hotel have been arranged for you: all-inclusive trip
4. move around and explore things: explore
5. something you don’t really like: not to your liking
b. Tick(√) true (T) or false (F). (Choose true (T) or false (F))
Guide to answer
1. F Chau and Nick are going to have their winter holiday. (Chau and Nick will have a winter break.)
2 T A package tour is not interesting to Nick. (A package trip is no fun for Nick.)
3 T Chau is teasing her friend about eating frogs’legs. (Chau is teasing her friend about eating frog legs.)
4. F Nick has decided to stay at a seaside resort in Japan. (Nick has decided to stay at a seaside resort in Japan.)
5. F Nick’s parents are very controlling. (Nick’s parents are very controlling.)
c. Answer the following questions. (Answer the following questions)
first. What does ‘Oh, they’re cool’ mean? (Oh, what do they’re cool’ mean?)
2. What is the weather like in France in the summer? (What’s the summer weather like in France?)
3. What would Nick like to do in France? (What does Nick want to do in France?)
4. What wouldn’t Nick like to do in France? (What doesn’t Nick want to do in France?)
5. How do we know that Chau’s parents don’t allow her as much freedom as Nick’s parents?
(How do we know Chau’s parents don’t allow her the same freedom as Nick’s parents?)
Guide to answer
1. It means Nick’s parents are relaxed and open-minded. (It means Nick’s parents are very laid back and open)
2. It’s quite warm (warmer than in Britain). (The weather is quite warm – warmer than in the UK)
3. Visit the Alps, and climb Mont Blanc, explore Paris, and go sightseeing in the historic city of Versailles.
(Visit the Alps, and climb Blanc, explore Paris, and see the historic sites of Versailles)
4. Eat frogs’ legs and snails. (Eat frog legs and snails)
5. She says ‘Lucky you’ when Nick says he can make his own decisions.
(She says “You’re so lucky” when Nick says he can decide for himself.)
2. Task 2 Unit 8 Grade 9 Getting Started
Collocation: Which word goes with which list below? (Word harmony: What words could go with the list below?)
Guide to answer
1. summer, luggage, expedition – vacation
2. vacation, tourist, seaside – resort
3. Sightseeing, Guide, Luggage Package – travel
4. boat, day, business – trip
3. Task 3 Unit 8 Grade 9 Getting Started
Fill each blank with a word/phrase from the list. (Fill in the blank with 1 word/phrase from the given list of words)
Guide to answer
1. seaside resort
4. in advance
Most people love to travel abroad, have the opportunity to stay in a strange city, a seaside resort. You can meet new people, learn new things, and bring home interesting souvenirs. But before you can do that, you have to get to the destination and maybe something challenging. You need to prepare many things. You will have to reserve your seat in advance on the plane, train or bus. If you are traveling by plane you must know if the flight is delayed and there is a baggage problem. Plus it will be hard to find good accommodation at an affordable price. Even so, most people still love to travel.
4. Task 4 Unit 8 Grade 9 Getting Started
Give the names of the following. Choose one and talk about it with a partner. (Indicate the names of the following places. Choose a place and tell your friends)
first. The city in Viet Nam where the International Fireworks Festival is held annually
(City in Vietnam, where the annual International Fireworks Festival is held)
2. A structure near Beijing, China, that is one of the New7Wonders of the World
(Building near Beijing, China, it is one of the new 7 wonders of the world)
3. An island in Korea that is a popular place for a holiday. (An island in Korea, a popular holiday spot)
4. A local product that you would like to introduce to foreign visitors
(A local product that you would like to introduce to foreign tourists)
5. A custom of your locality that might surprise tourists
(A local custom, which may surprise visitors)
6. Advice that you would like to give to a tour visiting your area
(Advice that you would like to give to a tour group in your area)
Guide to answer
1. Da Nang City (Da Nang city)
2. The Great Wall of China (Great Wall)
3. Jeju Island (Jeju Island)
4. Small wooden statues. (Small wooden figurines.)
5. Dying teeth black (Dyeing teeth black)
6.Tourist should visit my area in the spring to join some traditional festivals here.
(Visitors should visit my hometown in spring to attend some of the traditional festivals here.)
5. Practice Task 1
Choose the best answer to complete the following sentences.
Question 1: We don’t think the white shirt …………..him.
A. matches B. suits C. agrees D. gets on
Question 2: The dentist told him …………. his mouth
A. to open B. open C. opening D. opened
Question 3: Hardly …the door when the phone rang.
A. he had opened B. did he open C. had he opened D. has he opened
Question 4: I’m sorry. I have forgotten ……the letter for you.
A. to send B. sending C. having sent D. to be sent
Question 5: She prefers ……..TV …….to music.
A. to watch/ to listen B. watch/ listen
C. watching/ to listen D. watching/ to listen
Question 6: Mai and Hung were ill, so …went to school today.
A. neither them B. either one of them
C. both of them D. neither of them
Question 7: No longer ………….their housework as they used to.
A. the housewives do B. had the housewives done
C. do the housewives do D. have the housewives done
6. Practice Task 2
Find the word which has different stress pattern from the others.
Question 1: A. agree B. father C. depend D. enjoy
Question 2: A. prefer B. enjoy C. happen D. agree
Question 3: A. original B. geography C. imperial D. stimulating
Question 4: A. magnificence B. accessible C. affordable D. destination
Question 5: A. breathtaking B. safari C. traveler D. sightseeing
Question 6: A. stalagmite B. holiday C. excursion D. delicious
At the end of the lesson, students need to complete the exercise and memorize the following words:
- make up one’s mind = decide: decide
- afford (v): able to pay
- on holiday: vacation
- narrow it down
- package tour: package tour
- specialities (n): specialities
- my cup of tea: my hobby/favorite
- seaside resort: beach resort
- luggage (n): luggage
- price (n): price
- delay (v): delay
- destination (n): destination
- accommodation (n): accommodation