Unit 12 grade 9: My Future Career – Looking Back
1.1. Task 1 Unit 12 grade 9
Match each job with its description. (Match each job with its description)
Guide to answer
1. C 2. D 3. E 4. F 5. A 6. REMOVE
1. businessman: someone who works in the business world
2. customer service staff: someone who solves problems with customers before, during and after the transaction.
3. tour guide: someone who introduces the culture and customs of places to tourists.
4. architect: someone who designs buildings
5. biologist: scientist who studies students môn
6. Fashion designer: someone who creates new clothing designs.
1.2. Task 2 Unit 12 grade 9
Match fragments 1-8 with fragments AH to make sentences. (Match the arrays 1-8 with the arrays AH to make sentences)
Guide to answer
1-H. She did various jobs to earn a living and to support her mother.
(She worked many jobs to earn a living and raise her mother.)
2-E. Because he does a nine-to-five job, he has the whole evening with the kids.
(Because he works regular hours, he can spend the evening with his children.)
3-F. I prefer to work flexitime because I am more effecient in the afternoon.
(I like to work with flexible hours because I’m more productive in the afternoon.)
4-A. My friend is doing a course in design.
(My friend is taking a design course.)
5-D. Doing a job well means you will not just earn money but also gain satisfaction.
(Doing a good job means not only making money, but also being satisfied with it.)
6-G. Although the pay is low, he agreed to take the job to gain experience.
(Despite the low salary, he still took the job to gain more experience.)
7-C. He is exhausted because he’s been working overtime for a month now.
(He is tired because he has been working overtime for more than a month now.)
8-B. He decided to take the job for some extra income.
(He decided to take the job for extra income.)
1.3. Task 3 Unit 12 grade 9
Fill each blank with one suitable word/phrase from the box Remember to change the form of the word/phrase where necessary. (Fill in each blank with a word/phrase from the box. Remember to change the form of the word/phrase if necessary)
Guide to answer
4. academic subjects
5. took into account
7. burnt the midnight oil
8. make a bundle
1. Students need a number of career skills before entering the world of work.
2. She is an energetic businesswoman. She has a lot of energy and focus.
3. He is a very empathetic nurse so the patients love him.
4. I see we have too many subjects and not enough time for PE.
5. I consider salary and working conditions before deciding to take a job.
6. He became a professional player for the local team.
7. He’s been studying hard for a long time so it’s only fair that he got an A at the end of the term.
8. He is a professional singer. With a good voice, he can make a lot of money.
2.1. Task 4 Unit 12 grade 9
Complete the sentences using the correct form (V-ing form or to-infinitive) of the verb in brackets. Complete the following sentences using the correct form (V-ing or to-V) of the verbs in brackets.
Guide to answer
first. forget to V: forget what to do, forget V-ing: forget what to do
He forgot to lock the door so he lost his laptop.
(He forgot to lock the door so he lost his laptop)
2. try to V: try, try V-ing: try
I tried working in a garage but I found it was unsuitable.
(I tried working in the garage but I didn’t feel right)
3. deny V-ing: deny
The boss denied treat him badly.
(The boss denies treating him badly.)
4. expect to V: expect
The employees expected to get a pay rise.
(Employees hope to get a raise)
5. encourage to V: to encourage, to encourage someone to do something
The manager encouraging her staff to finish the project soon.
(Managers urge employees to finish the project early)
6. remember to v: remember what to do, remember ving: remember what to do
The interviewer remembered reading the interviewee’s CV before.
(The interviewer remembers to have read the previous interviewer’s CV.)
2.2. Task 5 Unit 12 grade 9
Correct the italicised phrases where necessary. (Correct italic phrases where necessary)
Guide to answer
1. working hard => to work hard
2. promised to make => no change
3. to be => being
4. refused to attend => no change
5. mind to burn => mind burning
6. managed getting => managed to get
7. admitted to study => no change
8. offer working => offer to work
9. prefer working => preferring to work
10. agreed to take => no change
I’ve always wanted to work in a big city where I thought I could make a lot of money. It’s not easy for anyone to get a good job there if they don’t try and study hard right from middle school. So I made a promise to myself to make the most of my time at school. Although I am an outgoing boy, I refuse to attend any parties or picnics. I didn’t mind studying hard before the exam and I got good results in most subjects at school. Finally, I was accepted to study at a medical university in a big city. After graduating, I accepted an offer to work in the university. Although I liked being a doctor at a famous hospital, I accepted the job and I gradually fell in love with it. Now I realize that love of work is more important than money.
GAME: TRUE OR UNTRUE (Game: True or not true)
Work in pairs. Each pair is given a card with a job. With your partner, think of two things that are true about your particular job and one thing that is not true. Then introduce yourselves to the class, repeating the three ‘facts’ you have thought of. The class decides which ‘fact’ is not true.. (Work in pairs. Each pair is given a card with a job. With a classmate, think of two things that are true about your particular job and one that are not. Then introduce yourself to the group. class, repeat the three elements that come to mind. The whole class decides which truth is true.)
We are farmers. It’s a nine-to-five job. We grow vegetables and we know a lot about cultivation.
No… you are farmers so you grow vegetables and you know a lot about cultivation. But you don’t do a nine-to-five job!
We are farmers. It’s office hours. We grow vegetables and we know a lot about farming.
No… you are a farmer so you grow vegetables and you know a lot about farming. But you don’t do an office hour job!
4. Practice Task 1
Give the correct form of the word in brackets.
1. They are used to (prepare) _______ new lessons.
2. By (work) _______ day and night , he succeeded in ( finish) _______ the job in time.
3. His doctor advised him (give) _______up (smoke)_______.
4. Please stop (talk)_______. We will stop (eat) _______lunch in ten minutes.
5. Stop (argue) _______and start (work) _______.
5. Practice Task 2
Choose the best answers
1. He is too busy …… care of her.
A. take B. to take C. taking D. B and C
2. I regret …… you that your application has been refused.
A. to inform B. informing C. inform D. informed
3. Don’t forget …… the door before going out.
A. close B. closing C. to close D. closed
4. I advise you …… before deciding to accept that position.
A. to wait B. wait C. waiting D. to be waited
5. I promise to give you an opportunity …… questions.
A. to ask B. ask C. asking D. asked
At the end of the lesson, you should remember:
– The vocabulary in Unit 12
– Grammar: Verb + to-infinitive/ Verb + V-ing (The verb goes with the infinitive with “to” and the verb goes with the -ing verb)
+ Some verbs are often followed by a verb with “to”: agree, expect, manage, pretend, tend, promise, attemp, offer, refuse…
Ex: He promised to be here by ten. (He promised to be here by ten o’clock.)
+ Some verbs are often followed by -ing verbs: finish, stop, admit, deny, avoid, discuss, keep, mention, mind…
Ex: She denied breaking the vase. (She denies breaking the vase.)
+ Some verbs can go with both forms without changing the meaning: begin, start, continue…
They continue to run/ running despite bad weather. (They continued to jog despite the bad weather.)
+ Some verbs with the above two forms will have different meanings: remember, forget, try, stop…
Ex: I remember meeting him somewhere (I remember meeting him somewhere.)
Remember to go back home early! (Remember to go home early!)
– Communication: Telling facts about a certain profession.