Unit 1 class 9: Local Environment-Getting Started
1. Task 1 Unit 1 Grade 9 Getting Started
Listen and read (Listen and read)
Nick: There are so many pieces of pottery here, Phong. Do your customers make all of them?
Wind: They can’t because we have lots of products. They make some and other people make the rest.
Nick: As far as I know, Bat Trang is one of the most famous traditional craft villages of Ha Noi, right?
Wind: Right. My grandmother says it’s about 700 years old.
Mi: Wow! When did your customer set up this workshop?
Wind: My great-grandparents started it, not my student. Then my business took over the business. All the artisans here are my aunts, uncles, and cousins.
Mi: I see. Your village is also a place of interest of Ha Noi, isn’t it?
Wind: Yes. People come here to buy things for their house. Another attraction is they can make pottery themselves in workshops.
Nick: That must be a memorable experience.
Wind: In Viet Nam there are lots of craft villages like Bat Trang. Have you ever been to any others?
Mi: I’ve been to a conical hat making village in Hue!
Nick: Cool! This is my first one. Do you think that the various crafts remind people of a specific region?
Mi: Sure. It’s the reason tourists often choose handicrafts as souvenirs.
Wind: Let’s go outside and look round the village.
Nick: There’s too much pottery here, Phong. Did your grandparents make them all?
Wind: No, because there are many. They only do a little and others do the rest
Nick: As far as I know, Bat Trang is one of the most famous craft villages in Hanoi. Right?
Wind: That’s right. My grandfather said it was 700 years old.
Mi: Wow. Since when did your grandfather open the factory?
Wind: My great-grandfather opened it, not him. Then my grandfather took over. All the workers here are my aunts, uncles and cousins.
Mi: Oh, I get it. Your village is also an interesting place in Hanoi, isn’t it?
Wind: Correct. People come here to buy things. What’s even more fascinating is that they can make their own pottery in the workshop.
Nick: It will be a memorable experience.
Wind: In Vietnam, there are many craft villages like this. Have you guys been there before?
Mi: I used to go to the conical hat making village in Hue.
Nick: Great. This is his first time. Do you think each profession reminds people of a particular region?
Mi: Sure. That’s why people choose handicrafts as souvenirs
Wind: Let’s go out and visit the village.
a. Can you find a word/phrase that means (Find the following word or phrase.)
Guide to answer
first. craft: (something carefully hand-made: craftsmanship)
2. setup: (start something (a business, an organization etc..): set up)
3. take over: (to control something (a business, an organization, etc.): take over)
4. artisans: (skilled workers who do things by hand: craftsmen)
5. attraction: (an ideal or interesting place to go or do things to do: to attract, to attract)
6. specific region: (a particular, separate place: special area)
7. remind: (to make someone remember or think of something: to remind, to remind)
8. look around: (walk around a spot to see what it is: look around)
b. Answer the following questions (Answer the questions)
Guide to answer
first. Where are Nick, Mi and Phong? (Where are Nick, Mi, and Phong?)
⇒ They are at Phong’s customer’ workshop in Bat Trang. (They were at Mr and Mrs. Phong’s gallery in Bat Trang.)
2. How old is the village? (How old is the village?)
⇒ It is about 700 years old. (It’s about 700 years old.)
3. Who started Phong’s family workshop? (Who started the Phong family workshop?)
⇒ His great-grandparents did. (His great-grandfather did.)
4. Why is the village a place of interest in Hanoi? (Why is the village the ideal spot for Hanoi?)
⇒ Because people can buy things for their house and make pottery themselves there. (Because people can buy furniture and make pottery there)
5.Where is the craft village that Mi visited? (Where is the craft village that Mi visited?)
⇒ It’s in Hue. (That village is in Hue.)
6. Why do the tourists buy the handicrafts as souvernirs? (Why do tourists want to buy crafts as souvenirs?)
⇒ Because the handicrafts remind them of a specific region. (Because crafts remind them of a particular region.)
2. Task 2 Unit 1 Grade 9 Getting Started
Write the name of each traditional handicraft in the box under the picture (Write the name of each traditional craft on the board below the picture)
Guide to answer
A: paintings (handmade painting)
REMOVE: drums (drum)
OLD: marble sculptures (marble sculpture)
EASY: pottery (pottery)
E: silk (silk)
F: lacquerware (lacquer)
WOOD: conical hats (conical hat)
H: lanterns (lantern)
3. Task 3 Unit 1 Grade 9 Getting Started
Complete the sentences with the words/ phrases from 2 to show where in Viet Nam the handicrafts are made. You don’t have to use them all (Complete the following sentences with the words or phrases from lesson 2 to see where handicrafts are made in Vietnam. You don’t need to use all the words)
Guide to answer
first. conical hat: (The birthplace of the famous poem hat is in Tay Ho village in Hue.)
2. lanterns: (If you go to Hoi An on the 15th day of every lunar month, you can admire the light of many beautiful lanterns.)
3. silk: (Van Phuc village in Hanoi produces different kinds of silk products such as cloth, shawls, lanyards, and clothes.)
4. paintings: (During Tet, many Hanoians go to Dong Ho village to buy folk paintings.)
5. Pottery: (Bau Truc ceramic products, such as pots and jars, have natural colors typical of Champa culture in Ninh Thuan.)
6. marble sculptures: (Arriving at Non Nuoc marble village in Da Nang, we were impressed by the numerous marble sculptures from Buddha statues to bracelets.)
4. Task 4 Unit 1 Grade 9 Getting Started
QUIZ: WHAT IS INTEREST? (Quiz: What’s interesting?)
a. Work in pairs to do the quiz (Work in pairs to solve the following puzzle)
Guide to answer
5. beauty spot
first. People go to this area to walk, play and relax.
2. It is a place to store and display objects of artistic, cultural, historical, and scientific interest.
3. People go to this place to see animals.
4. This is a small sandy or rocky area, next to the sea or lake.
5. This is a beautiful and famous place in the countryside.
b. Work in groups. Write a similar quiz about places of interest. Ask another group to answer the quiz (Work in groups. Write similar quizzes. Quiz other groups those same questions)
Guide to answer
first. It is a large shop with a variety of foods and other goods needed in the home. (Where there are many large stores with a wide variety of food and other goods for home use.)
⇒ Supermarket (Supermarket)
2. People come here to borrow or invest money or change it to foreign money,… (Where people often come here to borrow or invest money or change into foreign currency..)
3. People come here when they are ill or injured to be treated and taken care by doctors and nurses. (Where people often come when they are sick or injured to be treated and cared for by doctors and nurses)
4. It is a place for people to watch films together. (Where do people come to watch movies together)
Movie theater (Cinema)
5. It is a building or a room that has a large collection of books for people to read or borrow usually without payment (A room or building that houses a large collection of books that are available to anyone to read or borrow at no cost.)
5. Practice Task 1
Match the verbs in column A with the groups of nouns in column B Match the verbs in column A with the group of nouns in column B.
6. Practice Task 2
Complete the passage by filling each blank with a suitable word from the box Complete the passage below by filling in the blank with a suitable word from the box.
Through this lesson, you need to memorize the following important words:
- artisan (n): craftsman
- attraction (n): attraction
- workshop (n): workshop
- take over: take charge, manage
- conical hat: conical hat
- lacquerware (n): lacquerware
- handicraft (n): handicraft
- set up: to start, to set up