Unit 8 grade 8: English Speaking Countries – Getting Started
How’s your summer camp? (How was your summer camp?)
1. Task 1 Unit 8 Grade 8 Getting Started
Listen and read (Listen and read)
Click to listen
Nick: How was your international summer camp, Phong?
Wind: Great, all I can say is great.
Nick: You look very happy. What’s your favorite summer camp?
Wind: It’s hard to say. Everything was great: the new friends I met, the places I went, the activities…
Nick: Oh… Your English has improved a lot!
Wind: Sure. I use English every day, with people from different countries.
Nick: Where did they come from?
Wind: Everywhere! Places like India, Canada… English is also an official language in Singapore.
Nick: Right. Do you make friends in English speaking countries?
Wind: I am in the group with two male friends from Australia and one female friend from the US.
Nick: Do you find it difficult to understand them?
Wind: At first, I found it difficult to understand them. Maybe because of their voices but it’s fine now.
Nick: It’s great that you can practice English with native speakers. When are you coming back?
Wind: Our summer camp ended on July 15th and I took a night flight home that day.
Nick: See you then. Have fun!
Wind: YES. Thank you. Goodbye.
a. Find a word or an expression from the conversation which you use when you… (Find a word or phrase, from a conversation that you use when you…)
Guide to answer
1. think something is awesome: awesome, just awesome
2. agree with someone: absolutely / right
3. can’t decide: it’s hard to say
4. not sure about something: perhaps
b. Read the conversation again and answer the questions. (Read the conversation again and answer the following questions.)
first. Where is Phong now? (Where is Phong?)
2. Where do the campers come from. (Where did the camp people come from?)
3. What has Phong done so far? (What has Phong done so far?)
4. Why has he been able to improve his English.
(Why can he improve his English?)
5. Who are in the same team with Phong? (Who is on the same team as Phong?)
6. When can Nick see Phong?(When can Nick meet Phong?)
Guide to answer
1. He’s at an international summer camp (in Singapore). (He was at an international summer camp in Singapore.)
2. They come from different countries. (They come from different countries.)
3. He has made new friends, visited places, and taken part in different activities.
(He made new friends, visited places and participated in other activities.)
4. Because he uses English every day with people from different countries.
(Because he uses English every day with people from different countries.)
5. Two boys from Australia and a girl from the USA. (Two boys from Australia and one girl from America.)
6. After July 15th. (After July 15th.)
2. Task 2 Unit 8 Grade 8 Getting Started
Complete the sentences with words/ phrases from the box. (Complete the sentences with the words/phrases in the box.)
Guide to answer
1. summer camp
2. english speaking countries
3. native speakers
4. The USA
6. official language
1. Last year I had a good time at a summer camp in England.
2. USA, UK and New Zealand are all English speaking countries.
3. Australians are native speakers of English because they use it as their mother tongue.
4. America is located in North Central America.
5. Usually, people from different parts of a country speak the language with different accents.
6. English is the official language in countries like India, Malaysia and Singapore.
3. Task 3 Unit 8 Grade 8 Getting Started
Put the names of the countries under their flags. (Put the country names below as its flags.)
Guide to answer
1. the USA (America)
2. the United Kingdom (UK)
3. Singapore (Singapore)
4. Australia (Australia)
5. Canada (Canada)
6. New Zealand (New Zealand)
4. Task 4 Unit 8 Grade 8 Getting Started
GAME: Where are they? (Game: Where are they?)
Work in groups of 5 or 6 friends. Identify the countries in section 3 on the map below. The first group to find the countries wins.
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to complete the sentences
Question 1: It can’t be denied that English has become an __________ language of the world.
A. national B. international C. cultural D. multicultural
Question 2: The train __________ the railway station at 8:00 am every morning.
A. leave B. leaving C. will leave D. leaves
Question 3: Koalas are well-known as the symbol __________ Australia.
A. of B. in C. on D. for
Question 4: What he has said about me is __________ wrong.
A. absolute B. absolutely C. official D. officially
Question 5: What is _________ official language of your country?
A. a B. an C. the D. x
Question 6: Canada is made up _________ 10 provinces and 6 territories
A. on B. of C. by D. with
Question 7: Since 1965, the maple tree with red leaves _________ the most well-known Canadian symbol.
A. has become B. become C. became D. becoming
Question 8: Mount Rushmore is located _________ the USA.
A. in B. to C. of D. with
Question 9: Trung Speaks English like a native __________ though he comes from
A. speak B. speaking C. speaker D. spoke
Question 10: English is the __________ language of many countries, including Britain and Philippines
A. official B. absolute C. unique D. puzzling
At the end of the lesson, students should memorize the following words:
- international (adj): international
- summer camp: summer camp
- activity (n): activity
- absolutely (adv): absolutely
- official language: official language
- difficulty (n): difficult thing
- accent (n): voice
- native speaker: native speaker
- flight (n): flight