Unit 7 grade 8: Pollution – Getting Started
1. Task 1 Unit 7 Grade 8 Getting Started
Listen and read (Listen and read)
Click to listen
Nick: Your village is so beautiful. There are many trees, flowers and animals.
Mi: That’s right, that’s why I love coming back here every vacation.
Nick: Mi, what is that factory? It looks new.
Mi: I do not know. Last year there were no factories here.
Nick: Mi, look at the lake! Its water is almost black!
Mi: Let’s take a closer look… I can’t believe my eyes! Fish is dead!
Nick: I think the waste from the factory pollutes the lake. Fish die because of polluted water.
Mi: That’s right, if the plant continues to pollute the water. All fish and other aquatic animals will die.
Nick: Ahchoo! (Sneezing sound)
Mi: God bless you! What’s going on?
Nick: Thanks. Ahchoo! I think there is air pollution too. If the air wasn’t polluted, I wouldn’t sneeze so much. Ahchoo!
Mi: I have an opinion about an environmental project! Let’s give a presentation on water and air pollution!
Nick: Good idea. Let’s take some pictures of the factory and the lake to illustrate our presentation. Ahchoo!
a. Find the word/ phrase that means (Find a word/phrase that means:)
Guide to answer
6. to come up with
first. no longer alive
2. grew up or lived in or near water
3. throw something you don’t want, especially where it’s not allowed
4. an object that can make people or animals sick or kill them if they eat or drink it
5. make it unclean or unsafe to use
6. think of an idea or a plan
b. Answer the questions. (Answer the questions.)
first. Where are Nick and Mi? (Where are Nick and Mi?)
=> They are in Mi’s home village. (They are from Mi’s village)
2. What does the water in the lake look like? (What does the water in the lake look like?)
=> It’s almost black. (It’s mostly black)
3. Why is Mi surprised when they get closer to the lake? (Why was Mi surprised when she approached the lake?)
=> She’s surprised because she sees the fish dead. (She was surprised because she saw dead fish)
4. What is the factory dumping into the lake? (What does the factory discharge into the lake?)
=> It’s dumping poison into the lake. (It discharges toxic sewage into the lake)
5. Why is Nick sneezing so much? (Why does Nick sneeze so much?)
=> Because the air is not clean. (Because the air is not clean)
c. Tick (v) true (T), false (F), or no information (NI) (Choose true (T) or false (F), or no information (NI).)
1. The water in the lake is contaminated by a ship.
2. Water pollution in the lake has caused fish death.
3. Underwater plants can die from water pollution.
4. Nick won’t sneeze much if the air is clean.
5. Nick and Mi will have a talk about water and air pollution.
2. Task 2 Unit 7 Grade 8 Getting Started
There are different types of pollution. Write each type under a picture.
(There are different types of pollution. Write each type under a picture.)
Guide to answer
1. radioactive pollution: radioactive pollution
2. noise pollution: noise pollution
3. visual pollution: visual pollution — vision
4. thermal pollution: thermal pollution
5. water pollution: water pollution
6. land/soil pollution: land pollution
7. light pollution: light pollution
8. air pollution: air pollution
3. Task 3 Unit 7 Grade 8 Getting Started
Complete the sentences with the types of pollution. (Complete the sentences with these types of pollution.)
Guide to answer
first. thermal pollution: thermal pollution
2. Air pollution: Air pollution
3. radioactive pollution: radioactive pollution
4. light pollution: light pollution
5. Water pollution: Water pollution
6. Land/ Soil pollution: Soil pollution
7. Noise pollution: Noise pollution
8. visual pollution: visual pollution
1. When thermal pollution occurs, the water temperature in streams, rivers, lakes and oceans changes.
2. Air pollution occurs when the air contains gases, dust or incense in hazardous quantities.
3. When radioactivity enters the soil, air or water, it is called radioactive contamination.
4. Excessive use of electronic lighting in the city can cause light pollution.
5. Water pollution is the contamination of lakes, rivers, oceans or groundwater usually by human activities.
6. Soil pollution occurs when human activities destroy the Earth’s surface.
7. Noise pollution occurs because there are too many loud sounds in the environment.
8. Scenes with too many telephone poles advertising billboards, overhead wires, or shop signs causing visibility pollution.
4. Task 4 Unit 7 Grade 8 Getting Started
Work in groups. Which types of pollution in 3 does your neighborhood face? Rank them in order of seriousness. Give reasons for your group’s order.
Vote for the group with the best reasons.
(Work in groups. What type of pollution in section 3 does your neighborhood face? Rank severity. Give reasons for grouping.)
Guide to answer
It’s water pollution, noise pollution and air pollution.
Air pollution –> water pollution –> noise pollution
Air pollution does harm to your health.
Water pollution make the life quality reduce
Noise pollution can make you stressed.
It is water pollution, noise pollution and air pollution
Air pollution is harmful to health.
Water pollution reduces quality of life
Noise pollution can stress you out.
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to complete the sentences
Question 1: Do you know what is the cause __________ pollution?
A. of B. in C. on D. for
Question 2: My mother has to measure blood __________ every month
A. billboard B. pressure C. groundwater D. earplug
Question 3: Scientists has just come up __________ a solution to hearing loss
A. to B. on C. with D. down
Question 4: If we dump a plastic into the ground, it __________ a long time to disappear.
A. will take B. take C. took D. takes
Question 5: Pollutions are harmful __________ human health
A. with B. at C. to D. on
Question 6: __________ water caused in the death of many aquatic animals.
A. Contaminate B. Contaminated C. Contaminating D. Contamination
Question 7: What would you do if a factory in your neighborhood __________ raw water into the river?
A. dump B. dumped C. dumping D. dumps
Question 8: Have you ever heard about the __________ of radioactive pollution?
A. affects B. effects C. pollutes D. poisons
At the end of the lesson, students should memorize the following words:
- factory (n): factory
- dead (adj): dead
- waste (n): waste
- pollute (v): to pollute
- dump (v): to dump thải
- poison (n): poison
- aquatic animal: sea animal
- dirty (adj): dirty
- sneeze (v): sneeze
- show (v): to illustrate
- presentation (N): presentation
- radioactive pollution: radioactive pollution
- noise pollution: noise pollution
- visual pollution: visual pollution — vision
- thermal pollution: thermal pollution
- water pollution: water pollution
- land/soil pollution: land pollution
- light pollution: light pollution
- air pollution: air pollution