Unit 12 grade 8: Life On Other Planets – Getting Started
What could happen to Earth? (What could happen to Earth?)
1. Task 1 Unit 12 Grade 8 Getting Started
Positive: You know, Trang and I watched a very interesting movie yesterday!
Pediatric: Which film is it?
Positive: Star Trek into Darkness.
Pediatric: Oh, I love this series, but I just watched Star Trek 2009. What is Into the Darkness about?
Positive: Well, after their adventure on a journey to the planet Nibiru in Star Trek 2009, Captain James Kirk and his team return to Earth aboard the Enterprise in 2259. However, they then have to fight the enemy. a dangerous terrorist named John Harrises, who wants to destroy the Earth.
Pediatric: It sounds thrilling!
Positive: Yes. Kirk actually died trying to stop him, but thankfully, he came back to life. After all, it’s just a movie!
Pediatric: A happy ending! But it makes me think about the real world… Can Earth be in such danger?
positive: Funny, Trang also asked me what I think will happen to Earth in the future?
Pediatric: And how do you answer?
Positive: I said I don’t know but Earth could be controlled by aliens.
Pediatric: Ha! That’s right, no one knows.
a. Tick (v) true (T) or false (F). (Choose true (T) or false (F).)
Guide to answer
1. F 2. T 3. F 4. T 5. F
1. Duong and Trang watched a boring movie yesterday.
2. Nhi watched Star Trek 2009.
3. Star Trek is a science fiction movie.
4. Nhi and Trang sometimes think about the future of the world.
5. Yang seems certain about the future of the Earth.
b. Read the conversation again and answer the questions. (Read the conversation again and answer the questions.)
first. Who is the captain of the spaceship? (Who is the captain of the spaceship?)
2. Where did the crew go in Star Trek 2009. (Where did the crew go in Star Trek 2009?)
3. When does the story in Star Trek in to Darkness happen?
(When did the story in Star Trek Into Darkness happen?)
4. What do you think is the Enterprise? (What do you think Enterprise is?)
5. What does John Harrison want to do? (What does John Harrison want to do?)
Guide to answer
1. James Kirk is the captain of the spaceship. (James Kirk is the captain of the spaceship.)
2. They went to Nibiru planet. (They go to the planet Nibiru.)
3. It happens in 2259. (It happened in the year 2259.)
4. It’s the name of the spaceship that the crew travels on.
(It’s the name of the spaceship the crew rides on.)
5. He wants to destroy the Earth. (He wants to destroy the Earth.)
c. Can you find the sentences in reported speech in the conversation? Underline them. (Can you find the sentences that are in the narrative form in the conversation? Underline them.)
Guide to answer
– That’s funny, Trang also asked me what I thought would happen to Earth in the future. (Funny, Trang also asked me what I think will happen to Earth in the future.)
– I said I didn’t know but that Earth might be run by aliens! (I said I don’t know but Earth could be controlled by aliens!)
2. Task 2 Unit 12 Grade 8 Getting Started
Use the words/ phrases in the box to label the pictures. Then listen and repeat. (Use the word or phrase in the box to name the picture. Then listen and repeat.)
Click to listen
Guide to answer
1. aliens (alien)
2. space buggy (space car)
3. UFO (Unidentify Flying Object)
4. weightless (no gravitation)
5. galaxy (Galaxy)
6. spaceship (spaceship)
7. solar system (solar system)
8. planet (planet)
3. Task 3 Unit 12 Grade 8 Getting Started
Use the words/ phrases in 2 to fill the blanks. (Use words/phrases from part 2 to fill in the blanks.)
Guide to answer
first. The aliens were green and they had huge head and big eyes.
(The aliens are green and they have big heads and big eyes)
2. The aliens came out of a UFO, which looked like a disk.
(The aliens come out of an unidentified flying object, which looks like a saucer.)
3. A space buggy is a vehicle used for traveling on the surface of the moon.
(A space wagon is a vehicle used to travel on the moon.)
4. A moon moves round a planet and a planet moves round a star.
(A moon moves around a planet and a planet revolves around a star.)
5. Print a weightless environment, everything floats uncontrollably.
(In a zero-gravity environment, things fly uncontrollably.)
6. There are eight planets that move round the Sun in our solar system.
(There are eight planets that move around the Sun in our solar system.)
7. We don’t know how many solar systems there are in each galaxy.
(We don’t know how many solar systems are in each galaxy.)
8. Vostok 1 is the name of the spaceship in which Yuri Gagarin flew into outer space.
(Vostok 1 is the name of the spaceship in which Yuri Gagarin flew into space.)
4. Task 4 Unit 12 Grade 8 Getting Started
Game: WHAT AND WHERE (Game: WHAT AND WHERE)
Listen and follow the teacher’s instructions to play the game. (Listen to and follow the teacher’s instructions to play the game.)
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to complete the sentences
Question 1: Scientists claim that there are __________ eight planets in our solar system.
A. are B. were C. was D. is
Question 2: This water is __________ poisonous that people here can’t drink.
A. too B. so C. enough D. such
Question 3: I love __________ at pictures of the galaxy very much.
A. seeing B. watching C. looking D. viewing
Question 4: Space __________ is the main vehicle for astronauts to travel on the Moon.
A. buggy B. system C. surface D. planet
Question 5: I’m curious about the __________ space of the Earth.
A. alien B. weightless C. outer D. poisonous
Question 6: The atmosphere on Mars is quite similar __________ that on Earth.
A. to B. on C. at D. with
Question 7: Have you ever seen a flying __________?
A. danger B. saucer C. outer D. painter
Question 8: Neil Armstrong is considered as the first person __________ on the Moon.
A. step B. steps C. stepping D. to step
Question 9: I can’t stand __________ with such a talkative person like her.
A. talking B. talk C. talked D. to talk
Question 10: There have been some traces proving the __________ of aliens.
A. exist B. existence C. existing D. existed
At the end of the lesson, students need to reread the conversation between Duong and Nhi, do the exercises; Also memorize the following words:
- adventure (n): discovery
- captain (n): captain
- crew (n): crew member
- fight (v): fight
- terrorist (n): terrorist
- fortunately (adv): lucky
- alien (n): aliens
- galaxy (n): galaxy
- weightless (adj): zero gravity
- solar system: solar system