Unit 9 grade 7: Festivals Around The World – Communication
1. Task 1 Unit 9 Grade 7 Communication
Look at the animal below. Discuss the following questions with a partner. (Look at the animals below. Discuss the questions below with your friend.)
Guide to answer
1. A turkey
2. It’s one of the traditional foods of an important festival.
1. What is that animal?
=> A turkey
2. Why is it a special animal in some countries?
=> Turkey is one of the traditional dishes of an important festival.
3. Do you know of any festivals where this animal is important?
2. Task 2 Unit 9 Grade 7 Communication
Now listen and check your answers. (Listen and check your answers)
Click to listen
Thanksgiving (also called Turkey Day) is a seasonal holiday held annually to give thanks to God for successful harvests. In the USA the holiday is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. In Canada it is celebrated on the second Monday of October because the harvest there generally ends earlier.
Thanksgiving is celebrated with a feast among family and friends. Not only adults but children take part in the food preparation.
Traditional foods are turkey, stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes, cornbread, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce. After the feast people often do some other activities. Some like to go for a walk. Some take naps. Others play board or card games together. A lot of people take this opportunity to help the less fortunate. They volunteer to cook and serve food to homeless people, spend time with sick people in hospitals or help a needy family.
Thanksgiving (also known as Turkey Day) is a seasonal holiday celebrated every year to give thanks to God for a successful harvest. In the United States, the holiday is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. In Canada, this holiday is celebrated on the second Monday of October because the season usually ends earlier.
Thanksgiving is traditionally celebrated with a feast between family and friends. Not only adults but children also participate in food preparation.
The traditional dish is turkey, seasonings to stuff the chicken, gravy from the meat, sweet potatoes, tortillas, mashed potatoes and blueberry sauce. After the party, people usually do some other activities. Some people like to go for a walk. Some go to sleep. Others play cards with each other. A lot of people take advantage of this opportunity to help the less fortunate. They volunteer to cook and serve food to the homeless, spend time with the sick in the hospital or help a needy family.
3. Task 3 Unit 9 Grade 7 Communication
ln pairs, write true (T) or false (F) for the following sentences. Then listen again and check.(In pairs, write true (T) or false (F) for the following sentences. Then listen again and check)
Click to listen
Guide to answer
1. F 2. F 3. T 4. F 5. T 6. F 7. TILL
1. Thanksgiving is a seasonal holiday celebrated only in the United States.
2. Thanksgiving is celebrated on the third Thursday of November.
3. Friends and family get together for a party.
4. In many families, only the adults prepare the party.
5. Corn cake is one of the traditional dishes.
6. After the party everyone is always at home to play group games.
7. People help the less fortunate on Thanksgiving.
4. Task 4 Unit 9 Grade 7 Communication
Work in pairs. Imagine that one of you a from the USA and the other from Phu Yen Viet Harv Askand answer questions about Thanksgivingand Hoi Mua, a harvest festival in Phu Yen. Use the information in this lesson and on page 35. (Work in pairs. Imagine one of the children is from the US and the other is from Phu Yen, Vietnam. Ask and answer questions about Thanksgiving and the Harvest Festival, a harvest festival in Phu Yen. Use the information in this lesson and on page 35.)
A: This photo is beautiful. Where did you take it?
B: I took it at the Harvest Festival in my village. Is there a harvest festival in your country?
A: Yes. It is Thanksgiving. When do you celebrate the Season Festival?
B: In March. What about Thanksgiving?
Ethnic minorities in Phu Yen organize the Harvest Festival in March every year. The festival is held to thank the god Nong for the crop, and to pray for better crops in the future. Families also worship their ancestors and parents on this occasion. Villagers voluntarily contribute money and other things to celebrate the festival.
During this festival, monks are invited to lecture. People play drums, sing songs and dance. They also drink rice wine through a long thin bamboo tube. There are several other activities such as cultural shows, buffalo races and traditional games. The festive atmosphere is felt in all the villages.
5. Practice Task 1
Find the words with different stress
Question 1: A. music B. costume C. samba D. America
Question 2: A. concert B. countryside C. concern D. lantern
Question 3: A. surrounding B. manner C. stadium D. famous
Question 4: A. Carnival B. party C. season D.
Question 5: A. brighten B. Birthday C. delightful D. present
6. Practice Task 2
Make questions for the underlined words or phrases
1. The dictionary is 200,000 dong.
2. I made it from a piece of wood.
3. She bought it at the shop over there.
4. It’s about 1,500 km from Hue to Ho Chi Minh City.
5. It took her three hours to finish the composition.
At the end of the lesson, the children should practice listening to the information about Thanksgiving and doing related exercises, asking and answering about Thanksgiving and the Season Festival in Phu Yen; At the same time memorize the words in the lesson:
- turkey (n): turkey
- Thanksgiving (n): Thanksgiving
- annual (adv): every year
- harvest (n): crop
- declare (adv): in a traditional way
- feast (n): feast
- stuffing: seasoning for stuffing
- gravy: juice from meat
- sweet potatoes: sweet potatoes
- cornbread: cornbread
- mashed potatoes: mashed potatoes
- cranberry sauce: blueberry sauce
- homeless people: homeless people
- ethnic minority: ethnic minority
- crop: crop