Unit 1 grade 6: My New School-Skills 1
Look at the picture. What do they tell you about the schools? (Look at the pictures. What do they tell you about school?)
Guide to answer
In my opinion, I suppose that schools are really a good environment for people to work, learn and play. They have many activities to join, many clubs to practice skills. (In my opinion, I think school is really a good environment for people to work, study and play. They have a lot of activities to participate in, there are many clubs to practice skills. power.)
1.1. Task 1 Unit 1 grade 6
Read the text quickly to check your ideas (Read the passage quickly to check your opinion)
PLC Sydney (Presbyterian Ladies’ College Sydney) is an all-girls school in Sydney. It is a boarding school. Students study and live there. About 1,250 girls from 4 years old (kindergarten) to 18 years old (12th grade) study at PLC Sydney. PLC Sydney has students from all over Germany and the world, where students study subjects such as Math, Physics, and English.
An Lac Secondary School is located in Bac Giang province. It is a small school. The school has 7 classes with 194 students. The school is surrounded by mountains and green fields. There is a computer room and a library. There is also a garden and school grounds. You can see some girls dancing in the schoolyard.
Vinabrita School is an international school for students from grades 1 to 12. The school has a large building and modern equipment. Every day students learn English with English speaking teachers. In the afternoon, students participate in many interesting clubs. They play basketball, football, badminton. Some students were creative in drawing and painting competitions in the art club.
1.2. Task 2 Unit 1 grade 6
Now find these words in the text. What do they mean? (Find these words in the text. What do they mean?)
Guide to answer
first. boarding: (adj) boarding
2. international: (adj) international
3. surrounded: (adj) around, surround
4. creative: (adj) creative
1.3. Task 3 Unit 1 grade 6
Now read the text again and complete these sentences (Read the passage again and complete these sentences.)
Guide to answer
first. Students live and study in a boarding school. They only go home at weekends. (Students live and study in boarding schools. They only go home on weekends.)
2. Vinabrita has an art club. (The Vinabrita school has an art club.)
3. There are girls’ school in Sydney. (There is a school for girls in Sydney.)
4. Around An Lac School, there are green fields and mountains. (Around An Lac school there are green fields and mountains.)
5. At Vinabrita School, students learn English with English speaking teachers. (At Vinabrita school, students learn English with teachers who speak English.)
2.1. Task 4 Unit 1 grade 6
Which school would you like to go to? Why? First complete the table. Then discuss with your friends (Which school do you like the most? Why? Complete the following table with your friends.)
Guide to answer
3. Practice Task 1
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to complete the passage below (Choose options A, B, C or D to complete the passage below)
Johnson __________ (first) a student. He’s 12 years old. He studies __________ (2) Ba Dinh secondary school on Hoang Hoa Tham Street. He usually __________ (3) home for school __________ (4) 6.30 am He lives __________ (5) near the school, _________ (6) he usually walks to school with some of his friends. But today his father ___________ (7) him to school. He loves Literature and English. Today he has Physics, Chemistry and English. __________ (8) school, he often plays volleyball in the school field.
first. A. is REMOVE. are OLD. am EASY. beige
2. A. print REMOVE. on OLD. at EASY. from
3. A. left REMOVE. leave OLD. is leaving EASY. leaves
4. A. at REMOVE. big OLD. for EASY. on
5. A. also REMOVE. quite OLD. much EASY. well
6. A. yet REMOVE. for OLD. so EASY. but
7. A. is driving REMOVE. drive OLD. drives EASY. driving
8. A. Before REMOVE. After OLD. During EASY. When
4. Practice Task 2
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to answer these questions (Answer the following questions by circling the best option)
Hi. My name is Mary. I’m twelve years old. I’m a pupil. I live in a beautiful area in a big city. Every morning I get up at 5:30 o’ clock. After that, I dress up, have breakfast and go to school. My school is not very far from my house so I often go to school on foot. But today I ride my bike because I want to attend my English class after school. I love English so much. I will study abroad soon.
first. What does Mary do?
A. a teacher REMOVE. a farmer OLD. a student EASY. a driver
2. How old is she?
A. 9 REMOVE. ten OLD. 11 EASY. twelfth
3. What time does she get up in the morning?
A. half past five OLD. a quarter to six
REMOVE. five forty-five EASY. six o’clock
4. How is she getting to school today?
A. on foot REMOVE. by bike OLD. by car EASY. by bus
5. What subjects does she like?
A. Geography REMOVE. Literature OLD. English EASY. Both B & C
6. Is her school far from her house?
A. Yes, it is REMOVE. No, it doesn’t OLD. No, it isn’t EASY. Yes, it does
7. Does she play soccer after school?
A. Yes, he is REMOVE. No, he doesn’t OLD. No, he don’t EASY. Yes, he does
At the end of this lesson, you should pay attention to some words as follows:
- boarding school /ˈbɔːr.dɪŋ skuːl/: boarding school
- kindergarten /ˈkɪndəɡɑːtn/: kindergarten, preschool
- overseas /ˌəʊvəˈsiːz/: overseas
- modern /ˈmɒdn/: modern
- creative /kriˈeɪtɪv/: creative
- surround /səˈraʊnd/: surround
- international /ˌɪntəˈnæʃnəl/: international
- equipment /ɪˈkwɪpmənt/: equipment