Unit 7 grade 12: Artificial Intelligence – Looking Back
Listen and mark the stressed syllables. (Listen and mark the stress.)
Click to listen
Guide to answer
first. In ‘1 ‘8’8’4, ‘G’M’T was a’dapted internationally as a ‘standard ‘time ‘zone.
(In 1884, GMT was adjusted to the international standard as the standard time zone.)
2. The ‘U’S’A is ‘one of the ‘largest and ‘most ‘powerful ‘countries in the ‘world.
(The United States is one of the largest and most powerful countries in the world.)
3. The ‘A.’l. ‘robots will ‘help ‘humans to de’velop a ‘more ‘powerful ‘memory in the ‘future.
(AI robots will help humans develop stronger memories in the future.)
4. ‘U’F’O is the ‘acronym for Uni’dentified ‘Flying ‘Object.
(UFO stands for unidentified flying object.)
5. I ‘sent the ‘package ‘right ‘away because I ‘read the ‘acronym ‘A’S’A’P on its ‘cover.
(I sent the package right away because I read the acronym ASAP on its cover.)
6. ‘Thanks to the ‘G’P’S I could dis’cover ‘where my ‘missing ‘car was.
(Thanks to GPS I was able to discover where my missing car was.)
7. ‘Let’s ‘get to’gether ‘next ‘Sunday at ‘7 in the ‘evening.
(Let’s go together on Sunday at 7pm.)
Complete the sentences, using the correct form of the words from the box. (Complete the sentences, using the correct form of the word in the box.)
Guide to answer
first. After the power cuts last night, the machine started to malfunction.
(After the power cut last night, the machine started to malfunction.)
2. A lot of futurists think that AI robots will be harmful to humans.
(A lot of futurists think AI robots will harm humans.)
3. This life-threatening disease causes a lot of complications during the treatment procedure.
(This life-threatening disease causes many complications during treatment.)
4. Do you really think that humans will be exterminated when the machines rise against them in the future?
(Do you really think humanity will be destroyed when machines rise against them in the future?)
5. It costs a lot of money to upgrade the operating system and the workers’ skills in this car plant.
(It costs a lot of money to upgrade the operating system and skills of the workers in this car factory.)
6. Print order to reduce the cost of production, the manufacturers have used robots for repetitive work.
(To reduce production costs, manufacturers used robots for repetitive work.)
7. He is one of the leading AI scientists in the world.
(He is one of the leading AI scientists in the world.)
3.1. Task 1 Unit 7 grade 12
Circle the correct answers. (Circle the correct answer)
first. Instead of buying a new computer, why don’t you have your old one ________ ?
A. to fix B. fixing C. fixed D. fixes
2. The owners of modern manufacturing plants had workers doing heavy and repetitive tasks ________ by robots.
A. to replace B. replacing C. replaced D. being replaced
3. NASA has had an autonomous spaceship ________ the universe recently.
A. to explore B. explore C. explore D. explore
4. We had the computer technician ________ the new software for us.
A. to install B. installing C. installed D. install
5. My mother always has the dishwashing machine ________ the washing-up after meals.
A. do B. doing C. did D. to do
6. The newspaper editor-in-chief had a newswoman ________ about the latest domestic robots.
A. to write B. writing C. wrote D. write
7. The teacher had his students ________ their laptops to surf the Net for resources in his class.
A. using B. to use C. use D. used
Guide to answer
1-C 2-C 3-B 4-D 5-A 6-D 7-C
first. Instead of buying a new computer, why don’t you take the old one in for repair?
2. The owners of the modern manufacturing plant have workers who are doing heavy and repetitive jobs being replaced by robots.
3. Recently NASA has a self-driving spaceship to explore space.
4. We had a computer technician who installed new software for us.
5. My mother always has a dishwasher to clean the dishes after meals.
6. The newspaper’s editor-in-chief asked a female journalist to write about robot chores recently.
7. The teacher let his students use laptops to surf the Net to find materials in class.
3.2. Task 2 Unit 7 grade 12
Complete the sentences, using the active or passive causatives. Follow the example. (Complete the sentences, using active passive. Follow the examples.)
have + somebody + bare infinitive
have + something + past participle
get + something + past participle
A: Where’s your motorbike?
B: I sent it to the mechanic for him to repair.
I had the mechanic repair it.
I had it repaired.
I got it repaired.
Guide to answer
first. A: Your hair is rather long.
B: I’ll have a friend cut it.
I’ll have my hair cut.
I’ll get my hair cut.
2. A: Your house needs a new coat of paint.
B: I’ll have a worker paint it.
I’ll have it paintd.
I’ll get it painted.
3. A: My computer crashes often.
B: Why don’t you have the computer technician repair it?
Why don’t you have it repair?
Why don’t you get it repair?
4. A: Your motorbike was fixed.
B: Yesterday I had my brother fix it.
I had it fixed yesterday.
I got it fixed yesterday.
5. A: Your smartphone needs updating.
B: I’ll have a repairman update it.
I’ll have it updated.
I’ll get it updated.
6. A: Who’s going to take your suitcase to the taxi for you?
B: I’ll have a porter bring my suitcase to the taxi.
I’ll have my suitcase brought to the taxi by the porter.
I’ll get my suitcase brought to the taxi by the porter.
1. A. Your hair is quite long.
B. I’ll have a friend cut it. / I will cut my hair.
2. A. Your house needs a new paint job.
B. I will have a worker paint it. / I will have it painted.
3. A. My computer often crashes.
B. Why don’t you send the computer technician to fix it? / Why don’t you have it repaired?
4. A. Your motorcycle has been repaired.
B. I asked my son to fix it yesterday./ I fixed it yesterday.
5. A. Your phone needs to be updated.
B. I will send the repairman to update it. / I will take it to update.
6. A. Who will carry your luggage to the taxi?
B. I will have someone carry my suitcase to the taxi. / I will bring my suitcase for the gatekeeper to take to the taxi.
4. Practice Task 1
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to answer these following questions
According to futurist Ray Kurzweil human civilization will be unavoidably transformed in the year 2045 by an event that he call The Singularity. He suggests that exponential technological development will lead to the inevitable rise of artificial intelligence (AI). Such advanced technology may make humanity insignificant.
Kurzweil says that technologies are double-edged swords and envisions the possibility that an artificial intelligence might decde to put an end to humanity simply because it surpasses human intelligence. Kurzweil does have faith in mankind, however. He suggests that people are wise to accept that technological progress is undesirable and that such acceptance will make the process of transition easier.
Kurzweil has personal reasons to hope for the coming of The Singularity, because he wants his life to be extended by it. Kurzweil envisions that future medical advances could invent tiny computerised machines, or nanobots, which operate inside the body to enhance the immune system. In addition ne that future technology might be able to resurrect his deceased father.
Looking at the state of current technological advances in many fields such as medicine, navigation and communication, Kurzweil’s visions may not be unbelievable.The critical issue, however, is whether genuine artificial intelligence can ever be truly realised. Kurzweil suggests that critics of his theories, who believe that the human brain is too complex to duplicate, are underestimating what the exponential growth in technology can eventually accomplish.
Question 1: What is The Singularity?
A. An event giving rise to future human beings.
B. An event giving rise to future artificial intelligence.
C. An event giving rise to future alien civilization.
Question 2: Why could The Singularity put an end to humans?
A. Because AI might imitate human intelligence.
B. Because AI is similar to human intelligence.
C. Because AI will exceed human intelligence.
Question 3: What does Kurzweil say about technologies?
A. Technologies are avoidable.
B. Technologies are safe and friendly.
C. Technologies are double-edged swords.
Question 4: Why does Kurzweil hope for the coming of The Singularity?
A. Because it would have economic advantages.
B. Because life could be extended
C. Because human would have virtual entertainment.
Question 5: How does Kurzweil respond to critics of his theories
A. He thinks that they do not evaluate correctly the rapid growth of technology.
B. He thinks that the realisation of genuine artificial intelligence is a challenge.
C. He thinks that future events cannot be predicted with our current mean.
5. Practice Task 2
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to complete the sentences
Question 1: Do you know the country which you have the hightest life_______ in the world?
A. objective B. expectancy C. desire D. ambition
Question 2: This_______disease caused a lot of complications during the treatment procedure.
A. situation B. difficult C. life-threatening D. weak
Question 3: _______ does not exist yet, but scientists are working hard to create computers that can think like human beings.
A. Advancement B. Destruction C. Intervention D. Artificial intelligence
Question 4: Intelligent ___________ are widely used in many fields such as heavy industries, hospital medicine business, and the military.
A. machines B. servicement C. advisement D. computers
Question 5: GPS systems help a lot of people to ___________ on land, on the sea, and in the air.
A. navigation B. navigable C. nagibility D. navigate
At the end of the new Unit 7 English Grade 12 – Looking Back, students need to remember:
– How to put stress in sentences
– Vocabulary: life-threatening, reduce, exterminate, futurist, operating, leading, malfunction
+ Active cause used when subject 1 causes subject 2 to do something
Structure: have + someone + bare infinitive
Ex: The AI expert had his assistant activate the newly made robot.
+ Passive causes used when the subject has something to be done by another subject.
Structure: have/ get + something + past participle
Ex: The AI expert had the newly made robot activated