Unit 4, grade 12: The Mass Media – Looking Back
1.1. Task 1 Unit 4 grade 12
Put the verbs from the box in the appropriate columns. (Put the verbs in the box into the appropriate columns.)
Guide to answer:
/t/: watched, surfed, checked
/d/: installed, shared, offered
/id/: updated, provided, downloaded
1.2. Task 2 Unit 4 Grade 12
Listen to the sentences and pay attention to each verb. Write 1 or 2 or 3 in the column, respectively to the pronunciation of the ending ed’ of each verb. (Listen to the sentence and pay attention to each verb. Write 1 or 2 or 3 in the column, corresponding to the pronunciation of ed at the end of each word.)
Click to listen
Guide to answer
/t/: developed, generated, produced
/d/: declined, emerged, compared
/id/: downloaded , invented, provided
first. The number of website users declined during the first quarter of the year. (The number of people using the site declined in the first quarter of this year.)
2. A group of students developed our school website two years ago. (A group of students developed our school website two years ago.)
3. Have you downloaded the information about our school project? (Have you downloaded our school project information?)
4. Social networking has investment young people’s lives. (Social media has influenced the lives of young people.)
5. Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone in 1876. (Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone in 1876.)
6. radio emerge as a mass medium in 1920s. (Radio emerged as a means of mass communication in the 1920s.)
7. Walt Disney produced the world’s first full-color film Flowers and Trees in 1932. (Walt Disney produced the world’s first color film called Flowers and Trees in 1932.)
8. New technologies have provided powerful forms of mass media. (New technologies have provided powerful forms of mass communication.)
9. We compared the number of Internet users in several developing countries. (We compare the number of Internet users in several developing countries.)
Complete the sentences with the words in the box. (Complete the sentences with the words in the box)
Guide to answer
2. social networking
3. mass media
1. Businesses can reach a wider audience using social media.
2. One of the most popular ways to meet people is online social networking.
3. The lost jets were covered in the mass media – television, newspapers, radio and the Internet.
4. An application is a piece of software, which can run on the Internet, on your computer, on your phone or other electronic devices.
5. The advent of DVD has made watching movies very convenient.
6. Microblogging is writing brief articles about the daily activities of an individual or company.
3.1. Task 1 Unit 4 grade 12
Fill each gap with an appropriate preposition. (Fill in each gap with a suitable preposition.)
Guide to answer
first. Now we rely heavily on computers to organize our work. (We now rely on many computers to organize our work.)
2. Last week we carried out a survey on social networking. (We did a social media survey last week.)
3. Listen big him and follow his instructions. (Listen to him and follow his instructions.)
4. They are searching for the source of the leak. (They are looking for the cause of the leak.)
5. What do you think of/about advertising our products on social media? (What do you think advertising our products on social media?)
6. Take the recording equipment with you in case you need to record something. (Use your recording device in case you need to record something.)
3.2. Task 2 Unit 4 Grade 12
Match the two halves of the sentences. (Match the two halves of the sentence.)
Guide to answer
1.b 2.d 3.a 4.e 5.f 6.c
1. Sales of smartphones at this store increased to 300 at the beginning of 2014 and then dropped to the bottom at the end of the year.
2. When he arrived, I had the app installed.
3. I don’t want to download the app until I’ve read all the user reviews.
4. My friend joined the online language learning community when I became a member.
5. He hasn’t used any social media since he dropped out of school.
6. I installed the software when my computer froze.
3.3. Task 3 Unit 4 Grade 12
Put the words in brackets in the past simple or past perfect tense. (Put the words in brackets in the past simple or past perfect.)
Guide to answer
first. I had had (have) an email account for ten years before it was hacked. (I had an email account for ten years before it was hacked.)
2. Last week we done (attend) a presentation on the advantages and disadvantages of social networking. (Last week we attended a presentation on the advantages and disadvantages of social networks.)
3. Jack deleted (delete) his blog after he had received (receive) many negative comments. (Jack deleted his blog after he received many negative comments.)
4. Since I got (get) a smartphone for my birthday, I stopped (stop) using my brother’s laptop to surf the Net. (Ever since I bought a smartphone for my birthday, I have stopped using my brother’s laptop to surf the Net.)
5. My parents had wasted (waste) a lot of their time writing letters before they started (start) using social media to connect with their relatives two months ago. (My parents wasted a lot of their time writing letters before they started using social media to connect with relatives two months ago.)
6. I had edited (edit) all my videos from my holiday before I uploaded (upload) them to my blog. (I edited all my vacation videos before I uploaded them to my blog.)
4. Practice Task 1
Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the word that from the other three in the position of the primary stress in each of the following questions.
Question 1: A. networking B. television C. socialize D. communication
Question 2: A. digital B. entertain C. Internet D. cyberspace
5. Practice Task 2
Supply the correct form of verbs
Question 1: When she (finish)…………. her work she (go)…………. to the cinema.
Question 2: He (not eat)…………. until his parents (come)……………………. home.
Question 3: She (tell)…………. she never (meet)…………. him.
Question 4: He (do)…………. her homework before he (go)…………. out.
Question 5: The lights (go)…………. out the moment he (get)…………. into the cinema.
Question 6: Hardly the holiday (begin)……………. when they (leave)……………………. the town.
At the end of the new Unit 4 English Grade 12 lesson – Looking Back, students need to remember:
– The pronunciation of ed in the ending of each word
– The words in Unit 4
+ Past perfect (past perfect) is used to describe an action that happened before another action and both of these actions happened in the past.
Structure: S + had + V3/V-ed
Ex: They had finished their work right before the deadline last week. (They finished their work just before the deadline last week.)
+ Past simple (Past Simple) is used to describe a definite action or thing in the past or has just ended.
Structure: S + V2/V-ed/was/were
Ex: They were in London on their summer holiday last year. (They were in London on holiday last summer.)