Unit 9 grade 11: Cities Of The Future – Getting Started
1. Task 1 Unit 9 grade 11 Getting Started
Phong, Chi and Ha are discussing their class assignment. Listen and read. (Phong, Chi and Ha are discussing their class work. Listen and read.)
Click to listen
Wind: Come on, let’s discuss homework. This is a group presentation, right?
Spend: Right. Each group must have a presentation about what life in our city in 2050 will be like.
River: Good topic but very broad. The first thing we have to decide is whether life will get better or worse.
Wind: I believe it will be better thanks to modern technology.
Spend: Oh… that’s not the main reason. I think we will have a better life because there will be no more pollution. Therefore, our city will not harm the environment and be livable.
River: You mean eco-friendly city right?
Spend: Exactly. What do you think, Phong?
Wind: I like your ideas, but we can’t include all of them in the presentation. We should focus on either modern technology or the environment. We only have ten minutes, don’t we?
River: Right. I suggest choosing environmental issues. We can talk about solar energy that will be used in transportation in the future.
Spend: Good idea, Ha. If we use more solar energy, the air will be cleaner and our health will also be better. People can have many health problems and can get sick if they breathe polluted air.
Wind: Okay, so let’s focus on the environment. We can also discuss other uses not just for transportation.
Spend: Sorry I’m not familiar with these. Can you explain.
Wind: Solar energy is also used for daytime lighting, cooking, hot water and helping plants grow. If we have solar panels on the roof, we can generate electricity for us to use.
River: So good. What do you think, Chi? Phong presents those issues very well, isn’t it?
Spend: Right. I understand what he wants to say. If people use renewable resources, its impact on the environment will be less.
River: I think we need to have some ideas for the presentation right now. Let’s start preparing the presentations. Phong, can you talk, okay?
Wind: Does not matter. Whatever you need, just tell me.
2. Task 2 Unit 9 grade 11 Getting Started
Answer the questions. (Answer the question.)
first. What are Phong, Ha and Chi assigned to?
2. Phong and Chi think life in 2050 will be better? Why/why not?
3. What ideas did the three students choose to talk about?
4. What energy source is mentioned? How can use it?
5. Do you agree that life will be better and more enjoyable in 2050? Why or why not?
Guide to answer
1. It’s about life in the city in the year 2050. (It’s about life in the city in 2050.)
2. Both think life will be better; Phong beson modem technology will be the Chi thinks there’ll be no pollution. (Both think life will be better; Phong believes modern technology will be the reason, while Chi thinks there will be no pollution.)
3. They choose to talk about the envinronment. (They chose to talk about the environment.)
4. Solar energy is mentioned. This energy can be used for transport, lighting, cooking, heating water, and helping plants grow. (Solar energy is mentioned. This energy can be used for transportation, lighting, cooking, heating water, and helping plants grow. develop.)
5. Students’ answers
3. Task 3 Unit 9 grade 11 Getting Started
Find the questions tags in the conversation and write them in the space provided. Underline the verb forms. (Find question tags in the dialogue and write them in the blanks. Underline the verb forms.)
Guide to answer
– It’s a group presentation, isn’t it?
– You mean it’ll be environment friendly, won’t it?
– We’ll have only ten minutes, won’t we?
– Phong presented them so well, didn’t he?
– Phong, you will do the Talking, won’t you?
4. Task 4 Unit 9 Grade 11 Getting Started
Read the conversation again and complete the conditional sentences. (Read the dialogue again and then complete the conditional sentences below.)
first. If we use more solar energy, the air will become cleaner and our health will be better (type 1) (If we use more solar energy, the air will become cleaner and our health will be better too.)
2. People can develop health problems and become ill if they smell air (type 1) (People can experience health problems and get sick if they have to breathe polluted air.)
3. If we have solar pannels on our roofs, we’ll be able to generate our own electricity (type 1) (If we have solar panels on the roof, we can operate electricity too)
4. If people use renewable energy, their impact on the environment is less. (If people use renewable energy, their impact on the environment will be less.)
5. Let me know if you need anything else. (Let me know if you need anything else)
5. Practice Task 1
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Question 1: Today Islamabad is a prosper city of about 1 million people. It offers a healthy climate, a pollution-free atmosphere, plenty of water, and many green spaces.
A. healthy B. prosperous C. modern D. green
Question 2: Scientists hope that this new drug will be a major breakthrough in the fight against AIDS.
A. new cure B. important therapy C. sudden remedy D. dramatic development
Question 3: They design and carry out projects aiming to reduce fossil fuel consumption, find renewable fuels for public transport, and promote other clean air efforts.
A. inexhaustible B. recyclable C. green D. environment-friendly
Question 4: The urban planners are working for Eco Infrastructure Network, whose main function is to deal with urban environmental problems to make Super Star City greener, cleaner, and more sustainability.
A. eye-catching B. developed C. long-lasting D. friendly
6. Practice Task 2
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
Question 1: This is the right DVD, ____?
A. isn’t this B. is this C. isn’t it D. is it
Question 2: I’m not the only one, ____?
A. aren’t I B. am I C. am not I D. are not I
Question 3: Let’s go out tonight, ____?
A. shall we B. will we C. could we D. would we
Question 4: Don’t forget to write to me soon, ____?
A. would you B. could you C. can you D. will you
After finishing Unit 9 – Getting Started, students need to complete exercises, practice listening and answering questions; Also memorize the following words:
- city dweller/ˈsɪti – ˈdwelə(r)/ (n): urban dweller, urban dweller
- detect /dɪˈtekt/(v): detect, detect
- infrastructure /ˈɪnfrəstrʌktʃə(r)/ (n): infrastructure
- inhabitant /ɪnˈhæbɪtənt/ (n): resident, resident
- liveable /ˈlɪvəbl/ (a): liveable