Unit 5 grade 11: Being Part Of ASEAN – Looking Back
Listen and practice saying the following sentences. Mark the intonation: rising (↗) or falling (↘). (Listen and practice speaking the sentences below. Mark intonation: up (↗) or down (↘).)
Click to listen
Guide to answer
first. The Constitution of ASEAN is the ASEAN Charter.↷
(The constitution of ASEAN is the ASEAN Charter.)
2. Did the Charter come into force on December 15th, 2008?⤻
(Did the charter come into effect on December 15, 2008?)
3. The Charter is a legal agreement among the ten ASEAN member states.↷
(This charter is a legal agreement between the 10 ASEAN member states.)
4. Does the Charter set out the basic guiding principles for its member states?⤻
(Does the Charter lay out basic guiding principles for member states?)
5. One of the Charter’s principles is the ‘Right to live without external interference’. ↷
(One of the principles of the Charter is ‘The right to live without outside interference’.)
Choose the sentences with the words (af). (Complete the sentences with the words (at).)
a. charter b. block c. member
d. association e. stability f. maintain
Guide to answer
first. ASEAN aims to promote peace, security and stability in the region.
(ASEAN aims to promote peace, security and stability in the region.)
2. We try our best to attract new members to our association every year.
(We do our best to attract new members to our association every year.)
3. An agreement between China and ASEAN created the third largest trading block in the world.
(An agreement between China and ASEAN created the third largest trading bloc in the world.)
4. An ASEAN Scholarship holder has to maintain good academic performance to keep the scholarship.
(Recipients of the ASEAN Scholarship must maintain good academic performance in order to maintain the scholarship.)
5. Vietnam received assistance from ASEAN member states even before the country joined the bloc.
(Vietnam received help from ASEAN member states even before it joined the bloc.)
6. The ASEAN charter enter force after the ten members signed it.
(ASEAN’s charter was put into effect after 10 members signed it.)
3.1. Task 1 Unit 5 grade 11
Choose the correct verb form in brackets to complete each sentence. (Choose the correct form of the verb in brackets to complete the sentence.)
Guide to answer
first. Nam expects (big win/winning/ win) in the coming competition on ASEAN and the ASEAN Charter. (Nam expects to win the upcoming contest on ASEAN and the ASEAN Charter.)
2. The authorities in Cambodia do not permit (to enter/ entering/enter) the country’s eco-regions without an official guide. (Cambodian authorities do not allow entry into the country’s ecoregions without official instructions.)
3. Doctors and nurses risk (to catch/ catch/ catch) infectious diseases from patients. (Doctors and nurses are at risk of contracting infectious diseases from patients.)
4. My parents promised (to take/ taking/ take) us to Angkor Wat. (My parents promised to take us to Angkor Wat.)
5. I recommend (to visit/ visiting/ visit) the Royal Regalia Museum in the capital city of Brunei. (I recommend visiting the Royal Regalia Museum in Brunei’s capital.)
3.2. Task 2 Unit 5 grade 11
Complete the sentences with the verbs in the box. Use the correct forms. (Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in the box.)
|complete speak find dance swim|
Guide to answer
first. Heart dreams of swimming in the beautiful waters of Ha Long Bay in Vietnam. (Tim wishes to swim in the beautiful waters of Ha Long Bay in Vietnam.)
2. I suggest dancing Lamvong if you are in Laos because it is a good way to relax and make friends. (I recommend Lam Vong dance if you are in Laos because it is a good way to relax and make friends.)
3. Our English teacher encourages find about places of interest in ASEAN countries. (Our English teachers encourage finding attractions in ASEAN countries.)
4. Optical practised speaking in front of his parents so he can prepare for his presentation on ASEAN sports activities. (Quang practiced in front of his parents so he could prepare for his presentation on ASEAN sports activities.)
5. Tuan concentrated on finish his project on ASEAN last week and was able to submit it on time. (Tuan focused on completing his project in ASEAN last week and was able to submit it on time.)
3.3. Task 3 Unit 5 grade 11
Choose the correct verb form to complete each of the sentences. (Choose the correct form of the verb to complete the sentence.)
Guide to answer
first. I (feel/ am feeling) I should go to Ha Long Bay to relax. I’m too stressed. (I feel like I should go to Ha Long Bay to relax. I’m too stressed out.)
2. Can you hear the music? His class (has/ is having) a rehearsal for tomorrow’s meeting with the ASEAN Youth Delegation. (Can you hear the music? His class is having a rehearsal for the ASEAN Youth Union meeting tomorrow.)
3. I (look/ am looking) out of the window, but can’t see him in the street. (I looked out the window, but couldn’t see him on the street.)
4. I can see him at the market. He (smells/ is smelling) the fish now. (I can see him at the market. Now he is smelling the fish.)
5. The doctor (feels/ is feeling) the boy’s leg to see if it is broken. (The doctor is palpating the boy’s leg to see if it’s broken.)
3.4. Task 4 Unit 5 Grade 11
Use the simple or continuous form of the verbs in brackets to complete the senter (Use the simple or continuous form of the verbs in the box to complete the sentences.)
Guide to answer
first. Many Vietnamese parents believe that their children study English because they recognize (recognise) its importance. (Many Vietnamese parents believe that their children learn English because they realize its importance. )
2. I know (know) that the beaches in Bali, Indonesia, are always full of tourists who are attracted by their beauty. (I know that the beaches in Bali, Indonesia, are always full of tourists who are attracted by their beauty.)
3. Ven Keo, my pen pal in Laos, changed his mind again. Now he is thinking (think) of studying at a university in Vietnam, not in Singapore. (Ven Keo, my pen name in Laos, has changed his mind again. Now he is thinking about studying at a university in Vietnam, not in Singapore.)
4. Do you remember (remember) visiting the Chocolate Hills, one of the top tourist attractions in the Philippines? (Remember visiting the Chocolate Hills District, one of the top attractions in the Philippines?)
5.”How are you? (feel) feeling now, Mai?” (‘How do you feel now, Mai?’)
‘Oh, much better. Thanks a lot, Dr Lam.’ (‘Oh, much better. Thank you very much, Dr Lam.’)
4. Practice Task 1
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Question 1: ASEAN organized different projects and activities to integrate its members
A. combine B. interest C. separate D. upgrade
Question 2: The major shortcoming of ASEAN as an organization is the inability to go through many declarations, agreements, and instruments that they have proliferated over the years.
A. advantage B. benefit C. drawback D. success
5. Practice Task 2
Mark the letter ABC or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
Question 1: You should give up ____ your sister.
A. being bullied B. bullied C. bullying D. to bully
Question 2: She is used ____ to loud music
A. listen B. listening C. to listen D. to listen
At the end of the new Unit 5 English Grade 11 – Looking Back, students need to remember the following important knowledge:
- Intonation in sentences
- Vocabulary: stability, association, block, maintain, member, charter
- The correct form of the verb in the sentence
- Present simple and present continuous