Unit 10 grade 11: Healthy Lifestyle And Longevity – Reading
Life expectancy factors (Factors affecting life expectancy)
1. Task 1 Unit 10 Grade 11 Reading
The machines described in the pictures above help doctors to diagnose and treif diseases. Discuss with a partner. (The machines depicted in the two pictures on the left help doctors diagnose and treat diseases. Please discuss with your friends next to the two questions below.)
– Have you ever seen them?
– What are they used for?
a. MRI machine
b. X-ray machine
Guide to answer
– No, I haven’t. (I have not)
– MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scanners and X-ray machines take medical images of patients’ internal body parts. MRI images provide a 3D representation organs, which X-rays usually cannot. (MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) and X-ray machines take medical images of a patient’s internal body parts. An MRI machine provides a 3D image of the organs, which X-rays usually don’t. can come.)
2. Task 2 Unit 10 Grade 11 Reading
Read an article about the main factors for the increased life expectancy. Four sentences have been removed from the article. Choose a sentence (ad) to complete each gap (1-4). (Read an article about key factors for an increase in life expectancy. Four sentences have been removed from the article. Choose one sentence (ad) to complete each gap (1-4).)
Guide to answer
1. c (This increase – 67.2 years … 82.6 years; three main factors – introduces the main ideas of the whole text that are developed in the following paragraphs)
2. b (regular exercise – physical activity)
3. d (Eating more fruits and vegetables – the food we eat, simple dietary changes)
4. a (The last century’s advances – advanced techology, medical developments)
Over the past one hundred years, the average life expectancy has increased significantly from 30 years in 1900 to 67.2 years in 2010, with Japan reaching the highest figure of 82.6 years. This increase can be attributed to three main factors: healthier lifestyles, better nutrients, and advances in science and technology.
The mass media has helped raise people’s awareness of life choices. While smoking, alcohol consumption and fast food consumption can increase the risk of obesity and cardiovascular disease, regular physical activity and spending time outdoors can increase strength. for the body and the ability to function well. Many studies show that for every one hour of regular exercise, people can increase their life expectancy by two hours. Life expectancy is also associated with lower levels of anxiety and stress. A common way to reduce stress in today’s fast-paced lifestyle is to practice meditation and yoga.
Besides better living standards, people also have more nutritious meals and cleaner drinking water. Research shows that the food we eat has an effect on longevity, and even simple dietary changes strengthen the immune system. Eating more vegetables and less high-fat foods can also reduce your risk of serious diseases.
The third factor that gradually increases life expectancy is due to advanced science and medical development. Advances of the last century such as the discovery of antibiotics and vaccines and the development of medical imaging contributed to longer lives. In the 21st century scientists continue to search for new ways to cure serious diseases and slow down the aging process. Many of these treatments and new developments have the potential to prolong life and improve quality of life.
3. Task 3 Unit 10 Grade 11 Reading
Find the words or expressions in the text which have the following meaning. (Find words/phrases in the passage that mean the following:)
first. be attributed (to)
1. supposedly due – is due
2. the unhealthy state of being extremely overweight – obesity
3. drugs to kill bacteria and treat infections – antibiotics
4. a substance that is put into the bloodstream to protect the body against certain diseases – a vaccine
5. related to diet – diet
4. Task 4 Unit 10 Grade 11 Reading
Read the text again and answer the questions. (Reread the passage and answer the questions.)
first. What are the factors responsible for the increase in life expectancy? (Factors that contribute to longevity?)
2. What lifestyle choices can increase the risk of heart disease? (What lifestyle choices can increase your risk of heart disease?)
3. What can improve the ability of the human body to function well? (What can improve the human body’s ability to function properly?)
4. Why do people practice yoga and meditation? (Why do people practice yoga and meditation?)
5. Why is diet linked with longitude? (Why is diet linked to longevity?)
6. What are the medical developments and advanced technology mentioned in the article? (What are the advanced medical and technological developments mentioned in the article?)
Guide to answer
1. The three factors are healthier lifestyles, better nutrition and advances in medical science and technology. (The three factors are a healthier lifestyle, better nutrition, and advances in medical science and technology.)
2. Smoking, alcohol intake and fast food consumption can increase the risk of heart disease. (Smoking, drinking, and consuming fast food can increase your risk of heart disease.)
3. Doing regular physical activity and spending more time outdoors can improve the ability of the human body to function well. (Performing regular physical activity and spending time outdoors can improve your body’s ability to function.)
4. Because they want to relieve stress. (Because they want to relieve stress.)
5. Because the food we eat can affect longevity and dietary changes can boost our immune system. (Because the food we eat can affect our lifespan, and changing our diet can boost our immune system.)
6. They are the discovery of antibiotics and vaccines, and the development of medical imaging.
(Those are the discoveries of antibiotics and vaccines, and the development of medical imaging.)
5. Task 5 Unit 10 Grade 11 Reading
Which of the factors mentioned in the article do you think is the most important? Discuss with a partner. (What do you think is the most important factor mentioned in the article? Please discuss with your side.)
Guide to answer
n my opinion, Lifestyle choice is the most important in increasing expectation. If you have a good lifestyle, you will definitely take up good habits and care about your life in all factors like physical health and mental health. (In my opinion, lifestyle choices are the most important in increasing longevity. If you have a good lifestyle, you will surely have good habits and concerned with his life in all matters such as physical health and mental health.)
6. Practice Task 1
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
Computers cannot make mistakes. Stories have been heard sometimes about computers paying people too much money or sending them (1)_____ for things they didn’t buy. These mistakes ae made by the programs. Some years ago an American computer-controlled rocket went (2)____ and had to be destroyed. The accident has been caused by a small mistake in one line of the program, which (3)______ the USA 18 million dollars. Criminals have found that “computer (4)_____ are a lot easier than robbing a bank.” Hundreds of millions of dollars are stolen from businesses every year by people (5)______ the information in computers.
Question 1: A. reminders B. notes C. bills D. checks
Question 2: A. ahead of schedule B. into the orbit C. out of control D. to some extent
Question 3: A. saved B. spent C. cost D. estimated
Question 4: A. robberies B. burglaries C. thieves D. crimes
Question 5: A. exchanging B. changing C. receiving D. spreading
7. Practice Task 2
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks
To many people, their friends are the most important things in their life. Really good friends (1)___ the good times and the bad times, help you when you have got problems and never turn their backs on you. Your best friend may be someone you have known all your life, someone you have grown up with and been through lots of (2)_____ and downs with.
There are all sorts of things that can (3)______ about this special relationship. It may be the result of enjoying the same activities, having the outlook on life or sharing experiences. Most of us have met someone that we have immediately felt relaxed with as if we had known them for years. (4)_______, it really takes you years to get to know someone well enough to consider your best friend.
To the majority of us, this is someone we trust completely and who understands us better (5)______ anyone else. It is the person you can turn to advice and a shoulder to cry on when life gets you down.
Question 1: A. give B. share C. spend D. have
Question 2: A. ups B. towards C. forwards D. backwards
Question 3: A. bring B. cause C. result D. provide
Question 4: A. Because B. Although C. Otherwise D. However
Question 5: A. as B. than C. most D. much
To improve reading comprehension skills with the topic “Healthy Lifestyle And Longevity“, invite you to part Unit 10 Reading test The following new English 11 and practice together.
At the end of the lesson, they need to do full exercises and practice reading comprehension, answering questions; at the same time memorize the words:
- attributed (to): is due
- obesity: obesity
- antibiotics: antibiotics
- vaccine: vaccine
- dietary: diet