Unit 10 grade 11: Healthy Lifestyle And Longevity – Getting Started
How to stay healthy (How to live healthy)
1. Task 1 Unit 10 Grade 11 Getting Started
Kim is asking Max about a TV health show she missed. Listen and read. (Kim is asking Max about a Health program on TV that she missed. Listen and read)
Click to listen
Needle: I missed the wellness program last night. What was the program about yesterday?
Max: The program talks about 4 principles to make the body healthy. These four principles were presented by the guest of the program, Doctor Quan, a doctor specializing in traditional Vietnamese medicine.
Needle: It sounds good. What are those principles?
Max: Well, the first thing is stress reduction. Stress can weaken the immune system. Doctor Quan says if you practice meditation every day, you can make your mind free of tension.
Needle: Do you agree with him?
Max: Maybe he’s right…I’m not sure either.
Needle: OK. So what’s next?
Max: We should eat healthy foods like brown rice, fresh fruits and vegetables. We should also eat more fish and less red meat.
Needle: I agree with him. Yesterday I read – an article on the internet said that you can increase your life expectancy if you eat brown rice, vegetables. But why eat less red meat? I do not understand…
Max: The doctor said that red meat is high in fat which increases the risk of developing heart disease.
Needle: I got it. What about the third thing?
Max: Doctor Quan advises viewers to exercise regularly.
Needle: Does it mean exercising every morning?
Max: Daily exercise is great, but there are many ways to exercise to stay healthy. He said you should play sports when you are young, or practice yoga or tai chi when you are in middle age.
Needle: Yes, the first three principles mean a lot to me. What about the last thing.
Max: When you don’t feel well, use natural remedies first. And only take prescription medications when other treatments don’t work.
Needle: Really? What are the natural treatments?
Max: Um, something like massage, acupuncture or even a hot bath.
Needle: Hot shower? Are you kidding?
Max: Yeah, you can watch this show again tomorrow morning if you want. It will be replayed at 8am.
Needle: I will see.
2. Task 2 Unit 10 Grade 11 Getting Started
Read the conversation again. Find the verbs that go with the following nouns. Write them in the space provided, if necessary, use a dictionary to check the meaning. (Read the dialogue again, find the verbs that go with the nouns below and write them in the blanks provided. If necessary, use a dictionary to check the meaning.)
Guide to answer
first. relieve stress (reduce stress)
2. weaken your immune system (weakens the immune system)
3. practice meditation (Perform sitting meditation)
4. increase your life expectancy (increased longevity)
5. do a workout (Fitness)
6. practise yoga and t’ai chi (practice yoga and t’ai chi)
7. take prescription medicine (prescriptions)
3. Task 3 Unit 10 Grade 11 Getting Started
Complete the following notes on Dr Quan’s four principles to stay healthy. Write no more than three words in cache blank. (Complete the notes on Dr. Quan’s 4 principles. Write down no more than 3 words for each blank.)
Guide to answer
1. relieve stress
2. we practice meditation
3. eatine, healthy food
4. heart developing disease
5. exercise regularly
6. sports; yoga and t’ai chi
7. natural remedies; take prescription medicine
1. The first rule is to reduce stress.
2. According to the first principle, we can live a stress-free life if we meditate.
3. The second rule is to eat healthy food.
4. People who eat a lot of red meat have an increased risk of heart disease.
5. The third principle suggests regular practice.
6. According to the third principle, young people should play sports, while middle-aged people should practice yoga and t’ai chi.
7. As a fourth rule, people who feel unwell should try natural remedies and only take prescription drugs when other methods fail.
4. Task 4 Unit 10 Grade 11 Getting Started
Work in pairs. Ask and answer the following questions. (Work in groups and answer the questions below.)
1. What principles of Doctor Quan can you apply to stay healthy?
2. Do you agree with all the principles? Why/why not?
Guide to answer
1. I think eating healthy food is an important principle that we must follow. Because we consume foods and everyday drinks. We must take a look at what we eat.
2. I totally agree with 4 principles because they are easy to carry out and both good for our health.
5. Task 5 Unit 10 Grade 11 Getting Started
Find all the examples of reported speech in the conversation. Write them in the space below. (Find all the statements in the dialogue. Write them in the space provided.)
first. Dr Quan said if you practised every meditation day, you could keep your mind stree-free. (The doctor said that if you practice meditation one day, you can keep your mind free.)
2. Yesterday I read an article on the Internet, which claims you could increase your life expectancy if you ate brown rice, fruit and vegetables. (Yesterday I read an article on the Internet, claiming you can increase your life expectancy if you eat rice with fruits and vegetables.)
3. He said red meat is high in fat, which increases the risk of developing heart disease. (He says red meat is high in fat, which increases the risk of heart disease.)
4. Dr Quan advises viewers to exercise regularly. (The doctor advises viewers to exercise regularly.)
5. He suggested playing sports when you’re young, or practising yoga and t’ai chi… (He suggested playing sports in his youth, or doing yoga and t’ai chi…)
6. Practice Task 1
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
Question 1: Children often get vaccination in order to be immune to fatal diseases
A. susceptible B. vulnerable C. allowed D. resistant
Question 2: This kind of fruit helps to boost the immune system.
A. decrease B. reduce C. increase D. maintain
Question 3: Life expectancy for both men and women has improved greatly in the past twenty years.
A. Living standard B. Longevity C. Life skills D. Lifeline
Question 4: Here are some principles for people to stick to if they want to stay healthy.
A. rules B. principals C. laws D. duties
Question 5: We should consume healthy food and exercise regularly.
A. store B. purchase C. buy D. eat
7. Practice Task 2
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
Question 1: Hoa Lan ____ some groceries on the way home
A. buying B. to buying C. buy D. to buy
Question 2: My friend suggested ____ on a yoga course to lose weight.
A. enroll B. enroll C. enroll D. to enroll
Question 3: Tom and Ken admitted ____ to submit the assignments the day before.
A. to forget B. C. forget D. forgot
Question 4: The mother told her two daughters ____ too much fast food
A. not to eat B. to not eat C. to eat not D. not eat
Question 5: The doctor said to Mr Black that if he ate lots of fatty food, he ____ increase his chance of developing heart disease.
A. will be B. will C. would be D. would
After finishing the Unit 10 – Getting Started lesson, students need to do full exercises, practice listening and answering questions; Also memorize the following words:
- dietary /ˈdaɪətəri/(adj): belonging to the diet
- immune system/ɪˈmjuːn sɪstəm/ (n) : immune system
- life expectancy /ˈlaɪf ɪkspektənsi/(n): lifespan
- meditation /ˌmedɪˈteɪʃn/ (n): to meditate
- stress-free /stress – friː/(adj):not to be stressed
- workout /ˈwɜːkaʊt/(n): strength training