Unit 9 grade 10: Preserving The Environment – Getting Started
Environmental impacts (Environmental impact)
1. Task 1 Unit 9 grade 10 Getting Started
Listen and read. (Listen and read.)
Click to listen
Ba Nam: What are you doing, Nam?
Male: I’m writing an article for the school newspaper.
Ba Nam: What are you writing?
Male: Well, the editor asked me to write a letter giving practical advice on conserving the environment. So far, I have no idea at all!
Ba Nam: Have you used a Web search engine to find information?
Male: Yes, yes. However, it is confusing when I have so many results and websites about the environment.
Ba Nam: Well, read them all quickly to get ideas and choose the one that best fits the topic
Male: By the way, what is “environmental impact”?
Ba Nam: Well… it means a negative effect on the environment. Well, you can check the meaning using a dictionary.
Male: I’ll do it right away… Oh, that’s right, you’re right.
Ba Nam: But why do you care about the environmental impacts?
Male: Well, I think if we could see the environmental effects, we would know how to protect the environment from dangers like deforestation, pollution, global warming and the depletion of natural resources. fossil material.
Ba Nam: Right! Air pollution, greenhouse effect and global warming have a negative impact on the environment. As a result, polar ice is melting and sea levels are rising. You need to focus on your subject.
Male: Dad, thank you for helping me!
Ba Nam: OK. I wish you luck!
2. Task 2 Unit 9 grade 10 Getting Started
Label the photos with the words and phrases from the box. Then use a dictionary to check their meaning. (Name the pictures with the words and phrases in the box. Then use a dictionary to check their meanings.)
Guide to answer
a. greenhouse effect: greenhouse effect
b. pollution: pollution
c. deforestation : deforestation
d. polar ice melting: polar ice melting
e. fossil fuels: fossil fuels
3. Task 3 Unit 9 grade 10 Getting Started
Read the conversation between Nam and his father again. Ask and answer the following questions. (Read the conversation between Nam and his father again. Ask and answer the following questions.)
Guide to answer
1. He is writing a letter for the school newsletter.
2. The editor asked Nam to write some particular advice on environmental preservation.
3. It means the negative influence or effect on the environment.
4. Because he thinks if we can see impacts on the natural environment, we will know how to protect it.
5. They are deforestation, pollution, global warming, fuel depletion, polar ice melting and the rise of sea levels.
6. There are many garbages.
1. What is Nam doing for the school newspaper?
He is writing a letter to the school newspaper.
2. What did the editor ask Nam to write about?
The editor asked Nam. write about special advice on environmental conservation.
3. What does “Environmental Impact” mean?
It means negative effect on the environment.
4. Why is Nam concerned about environmental impacts?
Because he thought if we could see the effects on the natural environment, we would know how to protect it.
5. Name the environmental hazards mentioned in the conversation.
They are deforestation, pollution, global warming, fuel depletion, melting ice and rising sea levels.
6. What is the biggest environmental hazard in your neighborhood?
There is a lot of garbage.
4.1. Choose the best answers
Question 1: He promised to call _________________I have never heard from him again.
A. but B. except C. although D. because
Question 2: Let’s _________ water by turning off tapes when not using.
A. save B. to save C. save D. saved
Question 3: I_______ in the lounge for ten minutes.
A. was told waiting B. was told to wait
C. was told to be waited D. was told to be waited
Question 4: If you ask __________ people, they will tell you the way to Gobi Highlands.
A. national B. clothing C. local D. generous
Question 5: My mother told me she _______ very tired since she came back from a visit to our customer.
A. was B. had been C. is D. has been
Question 6: They realised that they __________their way in the dark.
A. had lost B. lose C. lost D. was lost
Question 7: Up to now, the teacher _____________our class five tests.
A. gives B. is giving C. has given D. had given
Question 8: What did you have for ___________breakfast this morning?
A. x B. a C. an D. the
Question 9: “Do you know that beautiful lady over there?” – “Yes, that’s Victoria. She’s ______in her group.”
A. more beautiful than any girl B. more beautiful than any other girl
C. so beautiful as other girl D. beautiful more than another girl
Question 10: Both fossil fuel _______ non-renewable resources are very important to our life.
A. or B. and C. for D. with
At the end of the lesson, students need to read the article and answer questions about environmental impacts; At the same time, memorize the following words to help them read and understand easily:
- practical advice: practical advice
- preservation /ˌprezəˈveɪʃn/(n): preservation, maintenance
- suitable (adj): suitable
- environmental impact (n.phr): environmental impact
- threat /θret/ (n): to threaten
- influence on: influence on
- deforestation /ˌdiːˌfɒrɪˈsteɪʃn/(n) : deforestation
- fossil fuel (n.phr): fossil fuel
- depletion/dɪˈpliːʃn/ (n): depletion, depletion
- greenhouse effect /ˈɡriːnhaʊsɪˈfekt/ (n.phr): greenhouse effect
- polar ice melting/ˈpəʊlə(r)aɪsˈmeltɪŋ/ : melting polar ice