Unit 8 grade 10: New Ways To Learn – Getting Started
Learning with personal electronic devices (Learning with personal electronics)
1. Task 1 Unit 8 grade 10 Getting Started
Listen and read. (Listen and read.)
Click to listen
Hung: I’m preparing a class discussion about personal electronics Do you think smartphones, laptops and tablets are useful for learning?
Wind: Exactly. They are modern devices that have changed the way we learn.
Hung: Oh, great? I think people use smartphones mostly to talk.
Wind: Yes, but smartphones can also be used to take pictures or record a student’s lesson, which can then be shared with the class.
Hung: Indeed. What about laptops?
Wind: Oh, they’re also an excellent learning tool. You can store information, take notes, write essays and do calculations.
Lam: You can access the Internet, download programs and information that can help you understand the material and expand your knowledge.
Wind: Right. My laptop, a gift from my parents, is very useful. I use it for homework and lesson projects and to learn English.
Hung: I got it. What about tablets?
Wind: Well, a tablet is a kind of portable computer and…
Lam: It can be used to take notes with a digital pen on the touch screen. A tablet is also perfect for someone whose job is to write and draw.
Wind: Right. A tablet with Wifi that accesses the Internet and is a good tool for looking up information.
Hung: So great! There is no doubt that many people are using these devices.
2. Task 2 Unit 8 grade 10 Getting Started
Read the conversation again and check if the following statements are true (T), false (F) or not given (NG). (Read the conversation again and check whether the following statements are true (T), false (F) or not given (NG).)
Guide to answer
1. F 2. F 3. LANGUAGE
4. T 5. F 6. BILLION
1. Smartphones, laptops and tablets are modern devices that have changed the way we think.
2. According to Phong, students use smartphones to record their phone calls, which they share with the class later.
3. Phong says that people use desktop computers the same way they use laptops.
4. Programs and lessons downloaded from the Internet can help people expand their knowledge.
5. According to Lam, a tablet is a type of mobile computer that can be used to take notes with a regular pen on the touch screen.
6. Phong thinks a tablet with Wifi is a good tool to look up information.
3. Task 3 Unit 8 grade 10 Getting Started
Find the adjectives which describe the devices used as learning tools and write them down. Discuss each word’s meaning with your partner. (Find adjectives that describe devices such as learning tools and write them down. Discuss the meaning of each word with your friend.)
Guide to answer
– personal: your own (personal: your own)
– electronic: having many small parts that control and direct a small electric current (electronics: there are many small parts that control and control small currents)
– modern: of or relating to the present time or recent times (modern: either relating to the present or recent times)
– excellent: exceptionally good (excellent: exceptionally good)
-: useful being of practical use (useful: practical use)
– mobile: able to be moved easily (portable: can be moved easily)
– digital: showing information by using figures (digital: display information using metrics)
– perfect: being complete and without weaknesses (perfect: complete and free of weaknesses)
– great: superior in quality or degree (excellent: superior in quality or extent)
4. Task 4 Unit 8 grade 10 Getting Started
Read the conversation again and answer the following questions. (Read the conversation again and answer the following questions.)
first. What personal electronic devices are the speakers talking about?
(What electronics are they talking about?)
2. What have these devices changed?
(What did these devices change?)
3. How do students use their smartphones for other things besides calls?
(How do students use cell phones other than making calls?)
4. Why are laptops excellent learning tools?
(Why are laptops such a useful learning tool?)
5. What does Phong do on his laptop?
(What does Phong do on his computer?)
Guide to answer
1. They are talking about smartphones, laptops and tablet computers.
(They’re talking about smartphones, laptops, and tablets.)
2. They have changed the way we learn.
(They have changed the way we learn.)
3. They use them to take photos or record their work, which can be shared later with class.
(They use them to take pictures or record their work, which can then be shared with the class.)
4. Because they can be used to store information, take notes, write essays and or calculations.
(Because they can be used to store information, take notes, write essays, and do calculations.)
5. He does his assignments, projects and studies English.
(He does homework, projects and learns English.)
5.1. Choose the best answers
Question 1: She gives her children everything …………. they want.
A. that B. who C. whom D. what
Question 2: _______ me about your summer vacation then.
A. Say B. Talk C. Tell D. Speak
Question 3: The flight had to be delayed the bad weather.
A. because B. Because of C. despite D. when
Question 4: Lan is interested _________ physics, the subject which I don’t like.
A. in B. on C. at D. for
Question 5: Steve was _____ he never does his homework by himself.
A. too lazy B. so lazy that C. very lazy that D. such lazy that
Question 6: Minh had a terrible headache._____, he went to school.
A. However B. But C. Although D. Because
Question 7: We should let children ________ electronic devices in class.
A. use B. using C. used D. to use
Question 8: The reason ………… I phoned him was to invite him to a party.
A. what B. whose C. why D. which
Question 9: I don’t agree with …………. you have just said.
A. what B. who C. when D. which
Question 10: Using smart phones in class can distract students ________ studying.
A. for B. to C. with D. from
At the end of the lesson they need to read the text and answer questions about learning with electronic devices; Also memorize the following words:
- personal electronic devices: personal electronic devices
- smartphone (n): smartphone
- tablets (n): tablets
- Definitely (adv): definitely
- record (v): recording
- learning tool (n.phr): learning tool
- information (n): information
- access (v): access
- widen your knowledge: expand your knowledge
- assignments (n): homework
- mobile (adj): portable, portable
- touch screen (n.phr): touch screen