Unit 7 grade 10: Cultural Diversity – Language
1.1. Task 1 Unit 7 grade 10
Read the conversation in GETTING STARTED again. Match the words / phrases with their definitions. (Read the conversation in Getting started. Match the words/phrases with their definitions.)
Guide to answer
1-g 2-e 3-d 4-b 5-a 6-c 7-f
1. marriage proposal
4. the reception
a. a woman who is married or about to get married
b. an intimate party to celebrate something
c. a man who is married or about to get married
d. a ceremony in which two people get married
e. an agreement or a promise to marry
f. an informal social or official religious event performed according to customs
g. a plan or proposal; a marriage proposal
1.2. Task 2 Unit 7 grade 10
Circle the correct words in brackets to complete the sentences. (Circle the correct words in brackets to complete the sentences.)
Guide to answer
first. My cousin’s (marriage/wedding) is next Sunday. (My cousin’s wedding is next Sunday.)
2. On the wedding day, the best man is expected to help the (groom/bride). (On the wedding day, the groomsmen will help the groom. )
3. The (groom/bride) can have as many bridesmaids as she wants. (The bride can have many wives.)Strawberry as desired. )
4. There is a wedding (proposal/reception) for all guests after the wedding ceremony. (There is a wedding reception for guests after the wedding ceremony. )
5. There will be about 100 (grooms/guests) at my cousin’s wedding. (There were about 100 guests at my cousin’s wedding)
6. In the past, the proposal and engagement ceremonies took one or two years (before/after) the wedding. (In the past, lThe wedding ceremony and the engagement took place 1 or 2 years before the wedding ceremony. )
7. My brother got (engaged/married) to one of his friends from college and started saving for the big day. (My brother is engaged to a friend from college and has started saving.)m money for this big day. )
2.1. Task 1 Unit 7 grade 10
Listen and repeat, paying attention to the stress patterns. (Listen and repeat, paying attention to the accent pattern.)
Click to listen
2.2. Task 2 Unit 7 grade 10
Listen to the sentences and practise say them correctly. Pay attention to the stress pattern of the underlined words. (Listen to the sentences and practice saying them correctly. Pay attention to the stress pattern of the underlined word.)
Click to listen
Guide to answer
first. There is an ‘increase’ in the number of young people in Vietnam who marry later in life.
(There is an increase in the number of people marrying late in Vietnam.)
2. In Vietnam, guests often give money as a wedding ‘present to the newly-married couple on their wedding day.
(In Vietnam, guests often give money as wedding gifts to newlyweds on their wedding day.)
3. In big cities, the birth rate has de’created over the past few years.
(In big cities, the birth rate has decreased in recent years.)
4. In reality, it is difficult to meet the ‘perfect’ life partner.
(In reality, it’s hard to meet the perfect partner.)
Comparative and superlative adjectives (Comparative and superlative adjectives)
3.1. Task 1 Unit 7 grade 10
Do you agree with the following statements? (Do you agree with the following statements?)
first. Living in your country is more interesting than living abroad. (Living in your own country is more interesting than living abroad)
2. Wedding ceremonies are less complicated now than they used to be in the past. (Today’s wedding ceremony is less complicated than in the past)
3. The biggest expense of a wedding is the reception. (The biggest expenditure on a wedding ceremony is the reception.)
4. No one is happier than the bridegroom on the day of his wedding. He is the happiest person on that day. (No one is happier than the groom on his wedding day. He was the happiest person that day)
5. The bride is the most beautiful woman on her wedding day. (The bride is the most beautiful woman on her wedding day)
6. It’s much better to have a small wedding and save money. (It is better to have a small wedding to save money.)
Guide to answer
1. I agree. There are so many beautiful landscapes for me to discover in my country. (I agree. There are many beautiful places for me to explore in my country.)
2. I agree. Now wedding ceremonies take less time than before (I agree. Now the wedding ceremony takes less time than before)
3. I agree. The modern wedding usually takes place in restaurants or hotel which couples too much. (I agree. Modern weddings usually take place in restaurants or hotels which are expensive for couples.) double a lot.)
4. I agree but the bride is the happiest person on that day, too. (I agree but the bride was also the happiest person of the day.)
5. I agree. (I agree.)
6. I think it depends on your financial background (I think it depends on your financial situation)
3.2. Task 2 Unit 7 grade 10
Write five sentences comparing the two weddings in the table below. Use the comparative form of the adjectives in the box and than. (Write 5 The sentence compares the two weddings in the table below. Use the comparative adjective in the box and the word “than”.)
Guide to answer
first. Guests in Mr Smith’s wedding is crowded than in Mr Long’s wedding. (The guests in Mr. Smith’s wedding outnumbered Mr. Long’s.)
2. Mr Smith’s wedding reception was more expensive than Mr Long’s. (Mr Smith’s wedding was more expensive (more expensive) than Mr. Long’s.)
3. Mr Smith is older than Mr Long. (Mr. Smith is older than Mr. Long.)
4. The engagement of Mr Smith’s wedding is less longer than Mr Long’s wedding. (The engagement period of Mr. Smith’s wedding was shorter than that of Mr. Long.)
5. The service rating in Mr Smith’s wedding is better than Mr Long’s wedding. (The service rating of Mr. Smith’s wedding is better than that of Mr. Long’s wedding.)
3.3. Task 3 Unit 7 grade 10
Choose the correct answers. (Choose the correct answer.)
Guide to answer
(first. A/The) wedding is the ceremony where (2. a/the) couple gets married. On their wedding day, (3. a/the) bride and groom may exchange wedding gifts or rings. Before the wedding, the groom usually asks his brother, best friend or father to be his best man. (4. A/The) best man helps the groom get ready for (5. a/the) ceremony and makes sure nothing goes wrong at the wedding. The bride may have one or more bridesmaids. The bridesmaid keeps (6. a/the) bride calm, helps her get ready and looks after her dress. After the wedding ceremony, there is usually (7. a/the) reception for the guests. Traditionally, the bride and groom go on their honeymoon immediately after (8. a/the) wedding reception. Nowadays, (9.a/the) majority of couples wait for a few days before they leave on honeymoon.
A wedding is a ceremony where couples get married. On the wedding day, the bride and groom exchange gifts and wedding rings. Before the wedding day, the groom often asks his brothers, friends and father to find a groom. The groomsmen help the groom prepare for the ceremony and make sure nothing goes wrong on the wedding day. The bride may also have one or several bridesmaids. The bridesmaids keep the bride calm, help the bride get ready, and keep an eye on her wedding dress. After the wedding ceremony, there is usually a reception for the guests. Traditionally, the bride and groom continue their honeymoon right after the wedding reception. Today, most couples wait a few days before setting off on their honeymoon.
4. Practice Task 1
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to complete the sentences
Question 1: The British believe that meeting a black cat _________ a bad luck.
A. is B. are C. be D. will be
Question 2: Although she was , she agreed to give me a hand with the clean-up.
A. tired B. tired C. tired D. tiresome
Question 3: I think ____________ popular food in Vietnam is pho.
A. most B. the most C. more D. more than
Question 4: Americans value freedom and do not like to be depend ________ other people.
A. in B. at C. to D. on
Question 5: You’re very quiet today. What have you got on your________ ?
A. spirit B. attention C. mind D. brain
5. Practice Task 2
Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the comparison. Use “er” or add “more”.
1. Dogs are ………… (intelligent) than rabbits.
2. Lucy is……………… (old) than John.
3. Russia is far ………… (large) than the UK.
4. My garden is a lot ……………………. (colourful) than this park.
5. Julie is …………… (quiet) than her sister.
6. My Latin class is …………. (boring) than my English class.
At the end of the lesson, students should keep the following key points in mind:
- proposal: marriage proposal
- engagement: engaged
- wedding: wedding
- reception: reception
- bride: bride
- groom: groom
- ceremony: ceremony
– Different stress in two-syllable words in different word types
– Grammar: comparative and superlative adjectives
+ Comparative is used to compare one person (or thing) with another person (or thing). The structure of the comparative sentence:
Short Adj: S + to be + adj + er + than + Noun/ Pronoun
Long Adj: S + to be + more + adj + than + Noun/ Pronoun
Example: My brother is taller than you.
+ The superlative is used to compare people (or things) with all people (or things) in the group:
Short adj: S + to be + the + adj + est + Noun/ Pronoun
Long adj: S + to be + the most + adj + Noun/ Pronoun
Example: My mom is the greatest person in the world.