Unit 7 class 10: Cultural Diversity – Looking Back
Listen to some sentences and put the mark (‘) before the stressed syllable in the words below. (Listen to a few sentences and put a mark before the stress in the words below.)
Click to listen
Guide to answer
first. Thanks to globalisation, we can ex’port more products to other countries.
(Thanks to globalization, we can export more products to other countries.)
2. There was a big ‘protest against the war.
(There was a large protest against the war.)
3. There is a big ‘contrast between the two cultures.
(There is a great contrast between the two cultures.)
4. Nowadays, Vietnam doesn’t im’port many oil products from other countries.
(Today, Vietnam does not make many oil products from other countries.)
5. People don’t ob’ject to cross-cultural marriages any longer.
(People can’t deny multicultural marriage anymore.)
Complete the passage with one of the words / phrases from the box. (Complete the passage with one of the phrases in the box.)
Guide to answer
(2) get married
Jack, a friend of mine, told me a joke. One day, he meets his wife, Rose, and asks her out on a date. They begin to spend a lot of time together and gradually fall in love. A year later, they decided to get married. Jack’s family was very pleased when he introduced his fiancée to his relatives and Rose’s parents were happy that their daughter was engaged to a young man. A hotel near the church was booked for a wedding party and the young couple was planning to honeymoon in Hawaii.
On the day of the wedding, all guests come to the church. The groom waits there with his brother, who is also the groom. Why is Rose late? He’s worried and almost thinks she’s changed her mind. But the bride is also waiting at her house with the bridesmaids to wait for the wedding car to arrive. Actually, her father set the wrong time. Luckily they managed to make it to the church at the last minute and the ceremony took place.
3.1. Task 1 Unit 7 grade 10
Fill in the gaps with the correct form of the adjective in brackets. Add any other words if necessary. (Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the adjective in brackets. Add any words as needed.)
1. Is life much_________(hard) or _________(easy) for teenagers now than it was in the past?
2. Life is_______(dangerous) today than it was 100 years ago.
3. Pho is _______(famous) dish in Vietnam.
4. Cities are a lot_________(polluted) than they were in the past.
5. It was_________(delicious) food I have ever eaten.
Guide to answer
1. harder; easier
2. more dangerous
3. the most famous
4. more tarnished
5. the most delicious
1. Is life harder or easier for young people now than in the past?
2. Life is more dangerous today than it was 100 years ago.
3. Pho is the most famous dish in Vietnam.
4. Cities are more polluted now than in the past.
5. It is the best food I have ever eaten.
3.2. Task 2 Unit 7 grade 10
Correct the sentences, adding articles where necessary. (Edit the sentences, adding articles if necessary.)
first. We are having great time in Ha Noi.
2. Let’s go to Nha Trang for week next summer.
3. Where’s money I gave you on first of this month?
4. For my birthday, I got book, DVD and latest CD by my favorite band.
5. On the radio, I heard song that I really liked.
Guide to answer
1. We are having a great time in Ha Noi.
(We are having a good time in Hanoi.)
2. Let’s go to Nha Trang for a week next summer.
(Let’s go to Nha Trang for 1 week next summer.)
3. Where’s the money I gave you on the first of this month?
(Where is the money I gave you at the beginning of the month?)
4. For my birthday, I got a book, a DVD and the latest CD by my favorite band.
(For my birthday, I got a book, a DVD, and a CD of my favorite band’s latest.)
5. On the radio I heard a/the song that I really liked.
(On the radio, I heard a song that I really liked)
4. Practice Task 1
Choose the best answer
first. She is ……. singer I’ve ever met.
A. worse B. bad C. the worst D. badly
2. Mary is ……. responsible as Peter.
A. more B. the most C. much D. as
3. It is ……. in the city than it is in the country.
A. noisily B. more noisier C. noisier D. noisy
4. She sings ………… among the singers I have known.
A. the most beautiful B. the more beautiful
C. the most beautifully D. the more beautifully
5. She is ……. student in my class.
A. most hard-working B. more hard-working
C. the most hard-working D. as hard-working
5. Practice Task 2
Fill in the gaps with the correct form of the adjectives in the brackets.
1. He is (clever) ……………………. student in my group.
2. She can’t stay (long) …………………….than 30 minutes.
3. It’s (good) ……………………. holiday I’ve had.
4. Well, the place looks (clean) …………………….now.
5. The red shirt is better but it’s (expensive) ……………………. than the white one.
6.I’ll try to finish the job (quick).…………………….
At the end of the lesson, you should remember:
- wife: wife
- get married: get married
- engaged: engaged
- reception: reception party
- honeymoon: honeymoon
- wedding: wedding
- bridegroom: groom
- bestman: groomsmen
- bride: bride
- bridemaids: bridesmaids
– How to stress sounds in two-syllable words in different word forms
– Grammar: comparative and superlative of adjectives
+ Comparative is used to compare one person (or thing) with another person (or thing). The structure of the comparative sentence:
Short Adj: S + to be + adj + er + than + Noun/ Pronoun
Long Adj: S + to be + more + adj + than + Noun/ Pronoun
My brother is taller than you.
+ The superlative is used to compare people (or things) with all people (or things) in the group:
Short adj: S + to be + the + adj + est + Noun/ Pronoun
Long adj: S + to be + the most + adj + Noun/ Pronoun
My mom is the greatest person in the world.