Unit 4 grade 10: For A Better Community – Getting Started
Who needs our help? (Who needs our help?)
1. Task 1 Unit 4 Grade 10 Getting Started
Listen and read. (Listen and read.)
Click to listen
Troops: Hello Hieu. I called you yesterday but you didn’t pick up.
Hieu: Oh really? When is that?
Troops: Around 2 pm. What were you doing then?
Hieu: Well, when you call I’m working. I volunteer every Tuesday at the Happy Tue Tue Charity Center. I teach children.
Troops: Really? Why?
Hieu: Because they are very disadvantaged. You have a lot of problems and need our help.
Troops: What subjects do you teach?
Hieu: Vietnamese and Math.
Troops: Oh, that sounds good. How did you get the job?
Hieu: Just by chance. I’m interested in volunteering, so when I saw a volunteer ad in the newspaper last summer, I applied and got selected.
Troops: Ah, I understand. Was the job easy at first?
Hieu: Not necessarily. When I first worked with them, many of them could not read or write. Some of them don’t even know anything about Math.
Troops: What did you do then?
Hieu: I received some helpful advice from my teacher. It is very useful. All children can now read and write.
Troops: His work is meaningful. I also want to do something for society.
Hieu: Well, if you’re interested in this kind of work, I’ll introduce you to my team leader.
Troops: Oh, that’s great! Thanks for your suggestion! I am very happy!
2. Task 2 Unit 4 Grade 10 Getting Started
Read the conversation again and answer the questions. (Read the dialogue again and answer the questions.)
first. When did Quan called Hieu? (When did the military call Hieu?)
2. What was Hieu doing when Quan called? (What was Hieu doing when Quan called?)
3. Was Hieu successful as a volunteer teacher there? (Did Hieu succeed as a volunteer teacher there?)
4. What do you think about Hieu’s volunteer work? (What do you think about Hieu’s volunteer work?)
5. Have you ever done anything to help other people? if yes, what did you do to help them? (Have you ever done anything to help others? If so, please list?)
Guide to answer
1. He called Hieu at 2 pm yesterday afternoon. (He called Hieu at 2pm yesterday.)
2. Hieu was teaching child at the Happy Mind Charity Centre. (Hieu is teaching the children at the Happiness charity center.)
3. Yes, he was. At first, many of his students couldn’t read or write. Now all of them can read and write. (Yes, he succeeded. At first, many of his students could not read or write. Now all of them can read and write.)
4. I think Hieu’s volunteer work is meaningful and really helpful for our society. (I think this is very meaningful work and really helps society.)
5. I have participated in a volunteer organization that helps provide the meals to the poor in a slum. They are all old and have poor living conditions. I find my work a little bit helpful and I am going to continue this kind of work, surely.
(I have been participating in a volunteer organization dedicated to providing meals for people.) poor live in slums. They are all elderly and have miserable living conditions. I see work My work is very helpful and I will continue to do it.)
3. Task 3 Unit 4 Grade 10 Getting Started
With a partner, make dialogues using the expressions in the box. (Write a dialogue with your friend using the following expressions in the box.)
first. That sounds great!
2. Not really.
3. … by chance.
Page: Mum, I have two days off this week.
Mum: That sounds great! We can go out together then!
Page: That’s a great idea, Mum!
Guide to answer
Quy: Grandpa, I’ve got a surprise for you.
Grandpa: Really? What’s that?
Quy: Well, I was chosen to be a volunteer this summer in Bac Kan Province.
Grandpa: That sounds great! Did your teacher offer you the job?
Quy: Not really. I got it by chance. I saw an advertisement online, I applied and they accepted me.
Grandpa: What will you do to help people there?
Quy: I think I can help them to harvest crops and help children to learn.
Grandpa: Good! I’m sure you will have a meaningful summer!
Quy: Thanks, grandpa!
Precious: Grandpa, I have a surprise for you.
Grandfather: Really? What is that?
Precious: I have been selected to volunteer this summer in Bac Kan province.
Grandfather: Great! Does your teacher provide you with work?
Precious: Not necessarily. I got it by accident. I saw an ad online, I applied and they accepted me.
Grandfather: What will you do to help people there?
Precious: I think I can help them harvest the crops and help the children learn.
Grandfather: Good! I’m sure you will have a meaningful summer!
Precious: Thanks Daddy!
4. Practice Task 1
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to complete the sentences
Question 1: Would you like __________ a cartoon with us tonight?
A. to watch B. watch C. watching D. watches
Question 2: Let _________ apply for that volunteer organization
A. we B. our C. us D. ours
5. Practice Task 2
Choose the letter A, B, C or D the word that has the underlined part different from others.
Question 1: A. apply B. ch onlyance C. handicraft D. interact
Question 2: A. donate B. balance C. dedicated D. fortunate
At the end of the lesson, students should memorize the following words:
- disadvantaged /ˌdɪsədˈvɑːntɪdʒd/ disadvantaged
- apply /əˈplaɪ/ register
- introduce /ˌɪntrəˈdjuːs/ intro
- volunteer /ˌvɒlənˈtɪə(r)/ volunteer
- participate /pɑːˈtɪsɪpeɪt/ join
- helpful /ˈhelpfl/ makes sense
- slum /slʌm/ slums