Unit 2, Grade 10: Your Body And You – Looking Back
Listen and repeat the following sentences. (Listen and repeat the following sentences.)
Click to listen
first. The prince plays a prime role in producing the special food.
2. Alice glances through the window and prays for magic.
3. The Grimm brothers’ fairy tales have their grounding in the fairy world.
4. The growth of the grass in the ground is carefully monitored.
first. The prince plays a major role in making special foods.
2. Alice glanced through the window and prayed for magic.
3. The fairy tales of the Grimm brothers form their foundation in the fairy world.
4. Grass growth in the ground is carefully monitored.
Complete the following sentences with a word or phrase about the body. (Complete the following sentences with a word or phrase about the body.)
Guide to answer
first. The part that leads the controlling of the body is the brain.
(The part that leads the body’s control is the brain.)
2. Blood is pumped through the lung/heart to bring oxygen to all parts of the body.
(Blood is pumped through the lungs/heart to carry oxygen to all parts of the body.)
3. Food is broken down and converted into energy in the digestive system.
(Food is broken down and turned into energy in the digestive system.)
4. The bones inthe skeletal system help support our body and protect the organs.
(The bones in the skeletal system support our body and protect organs.)
5. The system that takes in oxygen and releases carbon dioxide is called respiratory (system).
(The system that takes in oxygen and releases carbon dioxide is called the respiratory system.)
6. The place that food is first stored in the body is the stomach.
(The place where food is first stored in the body is the stomach.)
7. The system which works as the control panel of the body is the nervous system.
(The system that acts as the control panel of the body is the nervous system.)
Underline the word in italics that best completes the sentence. (Underline the word in italics to complete the sentence)
Guide to answer
first. I will become/am going to an engineer one day if I can.
(One day I will become an engineer.)
2. Foods are broken down and converted/break and convert into energy in the digestive system.
(Food is broken down and converted into energy in the digestive system.)
3. Jane is going/will go to the dentist’s tomorrow as planned.
(Jane is going to the dentist tomorrow as planned.)
4. The acupoints are stimulated/stimulate to enhance the healing capability of the body itself.
(Acupuncture for stimulation to enhance the body’s healing abilities.)
5. Besides acupuncture, acupressure is used/uses to help treat ailments without any medicine.
(Besides acupuncture, acupressure is used to help treat diseases without drugs.)
6. Although I have taken some aspirin, the headache doesn’t go/won’t go away.
(Even though I took some anti-inflammatory medication, the headache wouldn’t go away.)
7. All the body organs are supported by/support the bones in the skeletal system.
(All organs are supported by bones in the skeletal system.)
8. Look at the dark clouds. I’m sure it will rain/is going to rain soon.
(Look at the dark cloud. I’m sure it’s going to rain soon.)
4. Practice Task 1
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to complete the sentences
Question 1: He coughs a lot. Has he got any __________ diseases so far?
A. respiratory B. inspirational C. muscles D. circulatory
Question 2: He kept ________ the evidence again and again.
A. repeat B. to repeat C. repeat to D. repeating
5. Practice Task 2
Fill in the blanks with the correct form of verbs.
Question 1: Toshico had her car (repair) ………. by a mechanic.
Question 2: Ellen got Marvin (type) ……………..her paper.
Question 3: We got our house (paint) …………last week.
Question 4: Dr Byrd is having the students (write ) ……………. a composition.
Question 5: Mark got his transcripts (send)………. to the university.
At the end of the lesson, you should remember:
– How to pronounce pr, pl, gr, gl
- digestive system /dɪˈʤɛstɪv/ /ˈsɪstɪm/ digestive system
- skeletal system /ˈskɛlɪtəl/ /ˈsɪstɪm/ skeletal system
- respiratory system /rɪˈspɪrət(ə)ri/ /ˈsɪstɪm/ circulatory system
- nervous system /ˈnɜːvəs/ /ˈsɪstɪm/ nervous system
- stimulate /ˈstɪmjuleɪt/ stimulate
- acupuncture /ˈækjupʌŋktʃə(r)/ acupuncture
- acupressure /ˈækjupreʃə(r)/ acupressure
- ailment /ˈeɪlmənt/ sickness, sickness
- organ /ˈɔːɡən/ part
- aspirin /ˈæsprɪn/ anti-inflammatory drug
+ Will Used to describe actions or events that may happen in the future
Structure: S + will + V-inf
Ex: An will complete this new project next week. (An will finish this new project next week.)
+ Be going to Used to indicate an action or event that is certain to take place in the near future
Structure: S + tobe going to + Vinf
Ex: Huy is going to clean his house at 7 pm tomorrow. Huy will clean the house at 7 pm tomorrow.
+ Passive voice (Passive sentence) is used when you want to emphasize the object affected by the action rather than the action itself.
Structure: S + tobe + V3/V-ed
Ex: This flower is watered by my father every morning. (This flower is watered by my father every morning.)